Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

custom build design

Posted by dave584 
custom build design
July 21, 2012 01:49PM
Hi,

I am considering building a custom built reprap like the ultimaker design the rods are in a different combination from the mendel, if you did not know. Firstly is that allowed? or is it like a copyright?
I think maybe the way they have the rods is a better design as they have better results from the mendel repraps imo.
What do you think?
Re: custom build design
July 21, 2012 02:14PM
RepRap and its derivative are all open source, so you are free to modify and add to the design in any way you like.

May I suggest though, that you start out building a regular Prusa V2 as your first printer, before you start experimenting. It's so much easier to build a custom printer when you have a working printer available to make the parts, plus you're going to need the experience you get from the first printer build.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
July 21, 2012 02:56PM
Sure, I think thats a good suggestion.
I would still like to hear what others think about the ultimaker design. Is it the mechanics which gives it great quality prints?
July 21, 2012 03:09PM
The printer I designed "Tantillus" uses the same type of mechanism as the Ultimaker. As well as the new printer from Tinkerine Studio called Ditto uses a very similar mechanism.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login