Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motors buzz and Pololu drivers get really hot

Posted by nibbler125 
Stepper motors buzz and Pololu drivers get really hot
August 16, 2015 07:39PM
So my build of my 3d printer has come to a sudden stop, When I try moving any of the axis all I seem to get is a loud buzzing sound, Then right after I find the Pololu drivers are getting super hot, Even when the printer is stationary. Assumming that I was pulling a heavy draw I took off all the belts but surprisingly I am still getting the same problem. Making small adjustments on the little dials of the pololu drivers does not make any diffrence. All my wiring was predone at the factory so I dont think bad soldering is to blame. Also I am using a ramps 1.4 board with Sprinter firmware.
Re: Stepper motors buzz and Pololu drivers get really hot
August 17, 2015 01:50AM

All my wiring was predone at the factory so I dont think bad soldering is to blame.

Everything is possible nowadays. sad smiley
The steppers could have wrong wiring,
More likely is, you forgot to put the jumpers under the driver boards or they are faulty.

Search the forum how to adjust the Vref = current limit on the drivers, they need adjustment, when they get to hot.
A fan blowing across the Ramps board is a good idea, too.
-Olaf
August 17, 2015 04:28PM
Ok I double checked and the jumpers are all installed, adjusting the current limit on the drivers seems to keep them from overheating but they all still buzz instead of turn. After looking more closely I noticed some really sloppy soldering on the ramps board, including burn marks on the pcb from the soldering iron. Ontop of that I also found that the hotend is not working. Since new boards can be had for like 20$ with new drivers I think I will go that route.
August 17, 2015 04:43PM
One likely cause of motors buzzing instead of rotating is that the stepper motor connections are incorrect. Sadly, different manufacturers of stepper motors using the same 6-pin JST connectors connect the windings to them in different configurations. So if the motors and wiring looms didn't come pre-made in a kit, try swapping the two outermost pins of one of the stepper motor connectors where it plugs in to the RAMPS, and see if that gets it moving.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 17, 2015 06:11PM
Ok changing the wires around seemed to kinda work. Now my next issue is that the motors all seem to only want to turn in one direction unless I flip the entire plug around. Pressing the button to make it move in the other direction just locks the entire printer and will not let me move at all until I press the reset button on the ramps board. Or should I say the only pot where the motors will reverse is in the E0 slot. The feed for the filimant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 06:20PM by nibbler125.
August 18, 2015 01:50AM
Steppers not running in both directions can be software related = Printer not homed.

Do you have a factory setup for the marlin? If so, you could try the Ramps-test program to see if anything is wrong with the board or the steppers.
If you see blobs of solder anywhere, remove them. When the board gets warm, they can wander around and cause shortcuts.
Attachments:
open | download - _Ramps_test.ino (3.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login