Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing a model to build

Posted by MeesterMan 
Choosing a model to build
August 22, 2015 01:25PM
I'm interested in building my first 3d printer. I need help narrowing down my options.

Here are a few things that might make a difference in giving me advice:

1. I have 4 kids aged between 5 and 13 who will use it and help me make it.
2. At the elementary school, the kids have MakerBots, and at TechShop I have access to MakerBots as well. I'm not sure of the models.
3. I have a reasonable amount of experience with electronics. I'm capable of designing my own simple circuits, etching PCBs, soldering, etc.
4. I have about a minute and a half of experience with 3d printers and CNC machines.
5. Keeping cost and complexity down for my first build is desirable. The quicker and cheaper we can get to a sense of accomplishement, the better.
Re: Choosing a model to build
August 22, 2015 01:47PM
Which country are you in?

The RepRapPro Fisher looks to be an easy machine to build (see the Fisher subforum here for feedback from owners), is inexpensive, is shipped and supported from the UK, has modern electronics with software-controlled motor current, and provides a web interface. However, if you are outside Europe then the shipping costs may make it less attractive.

Most of the other inexpensive kits are made with cheap Chinese clone electronics and parts, and will take a lot more effort to get working well - although with your electronics experience you may have less trouble than many 3D printing novices do. Most other kits also have a larger print area than the Fisher.

[Full disclosure: although I have no connection with RepRapPro, the Fisher runs my fork of RepRapFirmware.]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 22, 2015 03:42PM
For all the RepRap family printers you will probably get a better machine for less money if you buy the parts separately and put together your own kit. I think you will get plenty of help on the forums for whatever type of printer you pick. But that route it will be some work, a kit is simpler. As DC42 said there are a translation going on from 8-bit towards 32-bit, get on the train now or upgrade later.
Have a look at 2020 (aluminum extrusion) based delta printers, they have fewer parts and simpler mechanics then XY-printers. The calibration is harder and a bit of woodoo but once done less things that can go wrong (and they look cooler).

Good luck!
August 22, 2015 03:50PM
Check out OpenBuilds.com. They have several builds you can choose from and get help with. I have build the C-Bot coreXY printer and starting to work on a Delta-Six.
August 22, 2015 04:05PM
SlowFoot
Have a look at 2020 (aluminum extrusion) based delta printers, they have fewer parts and simpler mechanics then XY-printers. The calibration is harder and a bit of woodoo but once done less things that can go wrong (and they look cooler).

Actually, if you use Duet electronics and you have a good Z probe such as my [shameless plug] differential IR probe [/shameless plug], then calibration of a 2020 delta is trivial, see [www.youtube.com]. But you won't find any 2020 Kossel kits that use Duet electronics yet. As you are looking for something you can get working quickly, I recommend a kit. If you are more adventurous and prepared to spend more time and effort in building your printer and getting it working, you could take a look at the 2020 Kossel build described in my blog.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2015 04:07PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login