Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Part prints taller than the stl settings

Posted by scubi 
Part prints taller than the stl settings
August 21, 2015 07:35AM
Hi Guys
I am trying to print a bottle and its coming out taller than the stl size. I am using Repetier Host / CuraEngine. I look at the Analysis tab and it says the Z axis is 138mm and when the bottle is finished printing it comes out at 154mm high. I double check the height in 123D and the bottle is 138mm.
I have checked that I have NOT scaled it
I print other parts and they come out to the correct dimensions so abit confused why the bottle is not coming out the correct height.
One thing I must point out that the file was an STP file and I converted it in 123D design and not sure if that is the reason.

Please can you give me some advice urgently .

Thanks
Re: Part prints taller than the stl settings
August 21, 2015 12:40PM
Open the gcode file with a text editor and look at the G1 Z commands near the end ot see what the final print height is in the gcode. If it's 138mm, then you probably have the wrong Z steps/mm configured in your printer. If it'a close to 154mm, then the problem lies in the conversion you did.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 25, 2015 12:46AM
Hey DC, I'm having a heck of a time trying to find out how to change my Z Steps. Where will I find my gcode file and what text editor should I use to view it? Prusa I3 w/ Later Melzi board, Repetier and Slic3r. Thanks.
August 25, 2015 10:42AM
You should be able to just use the "EEPROM" in Repetier to easily change your step/mm settings. Print some test cubes or something simple to dial it in. If the part is too tall, lower the number and visa-versa.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 27, 2015 06:14PM
It will not highlight in the menu so I can't click it. Any idea why this is. Thanks.
August 27, 2015 06:30PM
elwood127
Hey DC, I'm having a heck of a time trying to find out how to change my Z Steps. Where will I find my gcode file and what text editor should I use to view it? Prusa I3 w/ Later Melzi board, Repetier and Slic3r. Thanks.

You can use any reasonable text editor to look at your gcode file (it's just text, after all). Alternatively, take a look at gcode.ws - it's a visualiser that you can use fairly quickly to look at the height of the gcode.

You can get your printer to tell you its current settings by connecting it to your computer, firing up your control software and sending the code M503 to the printer. Look for the Z axis steps per mm. Then go to the reprap calculator to work out the correct settings for your printer [prusaprinters.org]. You can tell your printer to use a new setting using the M92 command and store these to eeprom using M500. Check the reprap wiki for the specifics of these commands [reprap.org].

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
August 28, 2015 07:58PM
elwood127
It will not highlight in the menu so I can't click it. Any idea why this is. Thanks.

Make sure the EEPROM is enabled in your firmware. You also need to have your printer connected to access it through Repetier.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
August 28, 2015 10:08PM
Ok 3Dkarma and gmh39, no M commands have any effect. I can see the command in the log but nothing appears accept for 3 second temp checks. Also, where do I enable EEPROM in Repetier? I've been through every file folder regarding Repetier and there is no Configuration.h file or anything regarding settings either in EEPROM or firmware. No offence but I have gotten both of your replies 20 times but no one has the actual answer to where to find the files to look at in wordpad or why entering mcode into Repetier's gcode editor has no effect. Is anyone actually using Repetier and a Melzi controller? I'm about 2 seconds away from replacing the board which sounds like the ticket anyway but it erks me that I can't talk to this board and hate being defeated. Thanks for trying to help.
August 29, 2015 04:58AM
elwood127
Ok 3Dkarma and gmh39, no M commands have any effect. I can see the command in the log but nothing appears accept for 3 second temp checks.

My fault. Repetier does not support M503, so nothing will appear when you send it to your Melzi.

elwood127
Also, where do I enable EEPROM in Repetier?

It's enabled by default when you go through the Repetier configuration (see below).

elwood127
I've been through every file folder regarding Repetier and there is no Configuration.h file or anything regarding settings either in EEPROM or firmware.

Did you get your firmware by generating it through the Repetier web site? If so, you would have started here [www.repetier.com] (note: this link bypasses the donation page - you should really start here [www.repetier.com]), entered your settings and ended up with a downloadable zip file containing the source code for your board's firmware, which you then compile and upload to the board. This zip file contains Configuration.h, which is where the specific settings for your printer are stored.

If your board came preloaded with Repetier, then you won't have Configuration.h.

elwood127
No offence but I have gotten both of your replies 20 times but no one has the actual answer to where to find the files to look at in wordpad or why entering mcode into Repetier's gcode editor has no effect.

None taken. Configuration can be difficult and we sometimes get advice wrong when we don't know enough about the context in which you're working.

elwood127
Is anyone actually using Repetier and a Melzi controller?

I have in the past, but moved back to Marlin.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login