Duel hot end
July 23, 2012 08:35AM
Hello reprappers, after only having my Mendel v2 for 2 weeks I'm having great success and my print quality is great, now i'd like to build a new 3d printer but I would like to try a duel hot end version but I'm having no luck on google, I know I need a ramps v1.4, but has anyone done a right up on how to set up a Mendel with duel hot ends? Also can slicer be use with 2 hot ends? I don't see a selection for a second nozzle, do I have to change to skienforge?

Thanks reprappers. smiling bouncing smiley

Ash.
Re: Duel hot end
July 23, 2012 09:50AM
I've not done much extensive research on the topic but from what I understand it depends on what you intend to do with it. I know that you can specify a second hotend in Slic3r to print support material (perhaps a soluble PVA) and there should be a likewise option in Skeinforge. Unfortunately though, beyond that there is not much out there for printing in multiple colors. The main problem is that you Slic3r cuts solid objects in an .STL file. There is no way that I know of to identify sub regions within an .STL file (in order to describe areas of different colors). I have heard of people manually editing their GCode to switch between printheads but this sounds like an absolute pain in the a**.

Not saying it isn't possible, but beyond using a second extruder for support material, I think we would need an entirely different workflow and host software to manage multiple colored extruders. I know this technology exists, its used in very high end commercial printers, but the models are designed and edited in proprietary software.

Do a couple of searches in the forum, I know this topic has been discussed, at length, by people a lot more versed in this topic than myself. Glad to hear that you are getting high quality prints already!
Re: Duel hot end
July 24, 2012 09:39AM
Maybe if you search for dual not duel?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login