Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder making clicking noise and not extruding enough plastic

Posted by SkeptikRC 
Extruder making clicking noise and not extruding enough plastic
September 02, 2015 11:47PM
I've recently put together a Geeetech Prusa I3B and its been running smoothly until now. I did two small prints today with no problems I started on my third and my extruder started making a clicking noise and only a small amount of plastic. When I push the filament into the hole it stops making the click sound and starts pushing plastic at a normal speed. I cut the plastic off the reel and left it hanging to see if that was a problem but it is still going. It just seems like the extruder is having trouble pushing enough plastic into the hot end.
What should I do?

Thanks.
Re: Extruder making clicking noise and not extruding enough plastic
September 03, 2015 01:36PM
Sounds a lot like a clogged nozzle. If you have PLA you can pull it out at about 80 C and pull most debris from the nozzle. Sometimes you have to do it multiple times and if the grit is stuck in tight you might need to stick a needle or something in from the front to loosen it first. Once you can see all the way through the nozzle you are good.

If it's not the nozzle then there are lots of possibilities. You are looking for sources of friction. What is your system like? Is it direct drive, geared, bowden? What diameter of filament and what type of plastic? What hot end?
September 03, 2015 02:52PM
Also check the thickness of the filament. It can vary quite a bit, especially cheap filament (e.g. 1.95mm where it should be 1.75mm), so you might be trying to push too much volume of filament through the nozzle.

Also check the temperature of your extruder motor... if it's overheating (you can't hold your finger on it without pain), you'll need to turn the current down. If it's not overheating, you could try turning the current up to get more torque.
September 03, 2015 08:10PM
i've just been having a similar issue, with the click click click from the extruder teeth area, i slowed the prints 5mm/s a time till it hushed up. (i wasnt losing any extrution though.) i'll try the unclockit method next time.

full storry,
working fine untill long straight infill lines then click click untill the lines were shorter..hense i slowed stuff down a touch. (only getting about 65-75 mm/s though...direct drive with one toothed cog).
September 04, 2015 02:52AM
munchit1
i've just been having a similar issue, with the click click click from the extruder teeth area, i slowed the prints 5mm/s a time till it hushed up. (i wasnt losing any extrution though.) i'll try the unclockit method next time.

full storry,
working fine untill long straight infill lines then click click untill the lines were shorter..hense i slowed stuff down a touch. (only getting about 65-75 mm/s though...direct drive with one toothed cog).

This is a common problem with non-geared extruders. To get them working well, choose a long (i.e. high torque) motor, with a rated current low enough so that your stepper driver chip can drive it at 80% of its rated current without overheating - but not so low that it needs too much voltage.

I prefer 3:1 geared extruders.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 05, 2015 08:56AM
Thanks for the help everyone, I've been letting the printer run without fixing the clicking and I noticed it is only the first 5 or so vertical meters of the print that it happens. As it gets higher the clicking gets patchy until it stops and the plastic flows fine. I am using abs plastic. I remeber seeing something about releasing tension on the extruder, how do I do that? Another question, bryanandaimee how should I try and unclog the extruder if I'm using abs?

Thanks so much for the help!
September 05, 2015 09:00PM
[youtu.be]
I made a video of the problem, what should I do?
The banging at the start isn't the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2015 09:01PM by SkeptikRC.
September 05, 2015 10:18PM
What material are you using and what temp? I have had that happen when the temperature is too low.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
September 06, 2015 02:33AM
What is the motor rated for and much current are you feeding the stepper?
September 06, 2015 03:08AM
msaeger
What material are you using and what temp? I have had that happen when the temperature is too low.
I'm using abs at the maximum temp 260 degrees celsius.
September 06, 2015 03:47AM
Koenig
I'm not sure how to find the specifics but its the one attached to the geeetech mk8 extruder.
September 06, 2015 06:05AM
SkeptikRC
Koenig
I'm not sure how to find the specifics but its the one attached to the geeetech mk8 extruder.

From the video its easy to see its skipping steps, what did you set vref on the drivers to and which drivers are you using?
September 06, 2015 04:46PM
Koenig
SkeptikRC
Koenig

From the video its easy to see its skipping steps, what did you set vref on the drivers to and which drivers are you using?

I am printing from the SD card as I am having trouble getting my computer to connect to the printer, can I set the vref on the lcd panel?
September 07, 2015 12:57AM
Bump
September 09, 2015 10:06AM
no you'd have to turn the potentiometer on the stepper driver with a nonconducting screwdriver, clockwise to give the motor a little bit more juice
September 21, 2015 03:27AM
I have the same extruder and the exact same issue as SkeptikRC. My old Wades style extruder was running at about 0.45v v-ref. Increasing to 0.85v with this one has made no difference, and the stepper stays "active" somehow, i.e. makes grrr noises! Any ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login