Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which 3D printer - budget 500€

Posted by Letada 
Which 3D printer - budget 500€
October 16, 2015 05:53AM
Hello everyone!

I'm writing from Italy and I need to buy my first 3D printer for use in the field of rapid prototyping. I know the theory and FDM 3D printing in general, but I now need to choose a specific model, emphasizing the fact that I've never used one before.

I quite knowledgeable on the subject (I also read the FAQ forum) and models. I state some important information:

• Maximum budget: 500 €
  • I've never built a 3D printer
  • Type of material to be printed is not significant (the models that have will fulfill the objectives of functional evaluations / cosmetics, do not have to operate in special environments, but which nonetheless allows to achieve good accuracies, around 0.1mm. It would be interesting, however, the possibility of print filaments of wood, but is not a necessary feature.)
  • Size of print: 200x200x200mm
  • For its purpose would need to have it in a short time (about ten days at most preferably)

That said, I probably noticed that 3D printers suiting my purpose are those that are part of the family RepRap Prusa I3. In particular, I noticed:

1. Prusa I3 Rework: I read to be an important improvement in the Prusa I3, very well known and supported at the level of customization and documentation. But I have not understood what an official supplier and / or reliable to buy the complete kit / printer assembled (I found a possible supplier in replikeo.com, but do not know where they either site, then compared to the selling price to the amount shipping / tax / customs; other vendor I saw can be 3dmarkone.com, which also offers some customization kit as robustness, display, extruder Mark One);
  2. Prusa I3 Hephestos: kits sold by the BQ, falls precisely within budget and on time delivery (there is also a version already assembled?). I read also be improved Prusa I3 (maybe even better than the rework? If so, in what?). However I read it is newer than a rework and so it is less known and there are fewer customizations and documentation, so I did not understand whether it is actually better or worse than the rework.
  3. Prusa I3 R2: I read a version to be well designed and quality of Nicholas P, with interesting solutions and improving the weaknesses of rework (stability, robustness, extruder and other components). The basic kit is around 400 €, while the pro (but for which I do not understand at all the improved features compared to the basic version because of my not-depth knowledge of the project RepRap) a hundred Euros more, then always in the budget. But as I read on its website delivery times are quite higher compared to the needs (currently the waiting time is about a month and a half). There is the possibility to receive it already mounted?

These are the models that I thought to be valid. Probably will not be or there may be others that fall under the expressed needs, which is why I joined and I created this thread.

In addition to the information given, I would also ask you:

1. Having never built a 3D printer, it deserves find already assembled or a kit to be assembled? I refer to a complete kit and not to individual components can be selected according to the needs because I do not have the skills to choose nor unfortunately the time to study each component and then choose the most suitable.
  2. may also deserve a good used printer? If yes, which models?
  3. Can you suggest me sites where I can buy the printer assembled or full kit?
  4. Are there specific knowledge to know to be able to assemble-calibrate-configure a kit (like welding, electronic knowledge or other)? Is the documentation adequate even for a beginner?
  5. In case of choosing a kit and difficulties in its assembly, to whom I could turn for assistance to assembly?

I hope I have been exhaustive. If you need more information just ask! smiling smiley

Thank you in advance for your help. : D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 07:10AM by Letada.
Re: Which 3D printer - budget 500€
October 16, 2015 11:36AM
The RepRapPro Ormerod 2 kit might be within your budget too. It has the build volume you require, but unlike the others it includes modern 32 bit electronics with a web interface. It is designed in and shipped from the UK. I have its predecessor, the Ormerod 1. A dual nozzle upgrade is available. For more information, ask on the Ormerod forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 16, 2015 11:46AM
anything constructed from bars bounce n wobble more than a solid acrylic frame(big bag of nylo nuts springs to mnd though..), but...yu can adjust literaly every aspect of axis alignment on the bar build version, regaurding which prusa to get? theyre all the same design, with diferent pritty colours and box's added..mendles prusa's..take a look at the builds to see whats in them.

take a look at alliexspress... £2-300 for a prusa of some varient, i've seen delta's for 140 a while ago on offer (lost the web pages a while ago in a pc death of a hard drive..sy).
or even hobby king offer 3d printers now..cant vouch eather way but they look ok.

the hik hik i got started as a nice product in a box, into a six month before i coud print..then the board died after 4 kilo of filoment, longggg list of sorry no stock in derby please be patient...BS and a paypal for a half refuns, the refund did cover replacing failing parts, but, the inconvenience of the scam etc, i'd say avoid them.(in all fairness its a peach unit at the price, alas the prick's f**ked right up with shite back up n parts...idiots! coulda been a top contender..nearly, almost, maybe lol)

you could probably build from scratch at ebay prices..for 500 euro, a lot less after a longgg search.
October 16, 2015 04:25PM
Thank you for the answers!

About Ormerod 2 it is out from budget, more than 600€ including taxes.

As I said I know that if I search each single component I would pay less than 500€, but I need prototyping in few days and so I have no time to search and study.

Do you know the kit I wrote (rework, hephestos, R2)? What about them?

Thank you!
October 16, 2015 09:01PM
Your biggest issue I see here is time. Even if you get the kit with 7 days for assembly after 3 shipping you are going to be hard pressed to get the thing built, firmware figured out, and have it printing perfectly and accurately within that time. There is a steep learning curve to operating a printer and being successful at it. That being said look for an assembled printer that has been tested. Avoid Chinese junk if you can.

If you can bend your build volume requirement take a look at the Printrbot play. It's pla and has a 150mm^3 build space and comes with auto bed leveling. It can be bought fully assembled for 400usd. Not sure about European avalibility.

Out of the options you chose I would probably pick the Hesphestos i3. It is about the same as the i3 it terms of function, just a couple more of cable chains and in my opinion better looks.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
October 16, 2015 11:31PM
I built prusa a few years ago because at the time it was a good design. It took a few days to build. The design has many weaknesses and is just overly complicated with too many fasteners and zip ties. I3 is a thing of the past.
Now I am building a corexy and am amazed at how fast it goes together and aluminium extrusions should make it very stiff. I would suggest you to look at smartrapcore alu from smarfriendz. Kit ships in ten days.

Oh and if you decide to go with i3 I can recommend a kit from charlies3dt.com They use high quality parts and their printer has worked very reliably for me for the last few years and hundreds if not thousands hours of printing time.
October 17, 2015 04:15AM
Thank you for your answers!

@gmckee: when I say few day I mean max 15-20 days, from the order to the first print, but I saw that R2 now is delivered at December and that is too much time. I took a look at Printrbot, but unfortunately I need at least 170-180mm^3, and with importation taxes it is out of budget. About the hephestos, do you know if it has a better extrusor or other comparing prusa i3 standard?

@Edvardas: I took a look at prusa i3 kit on charlies3dt.com, but is out of budget too!

Thank you!
October 17, 2015 06:52AM
That is true but as I have said you get a a kit of good quality parts. On the other hand you can go a cheaper route and get printer with chinese nozzle and upgrade later.
October 27, 2015 05:23PM
Thanks a lot for the answers!

Finally I choose the Prusa I3 R2! I should arrive in these days!

Have you some suggestions about assembling process, calibration process and first 3D prints that could help me to start?

Thanks!
October 29, 2015 02:09PM
a little late to reply to this, a company in Ireland is releasing a printer frame kit for around 500 euro without electronics but all mechanical parts, like a ultimaker style with no belts, dual hotend ready witha print volume of 300mm x 300mm x 360mm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login