Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Backlash

Posted by ajayre 
Extruder Backlash
July 25, 2012 06:06PM
I'm in the process of building my RepRapPro Mendel and I've noticed that the extruder has backlash because the nut does not fit tightly into the center of the large gear.

Is this something critical that will wreck any chance of decent prints and should be fixed before using the printer?

I hope not because I'm not sure how to rectify it without a working printer to print a better gear.

Thanks, Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 06:06PM by ajayre.
Re: Extruder Backlash
July 25, 2012 06:11PM
Assuming it's not massively lose you can fix it by putting a space (say tape) in the gap.
In terms of effect, you'll potentially get some lag from the extruder when a print starts and the backlash is taken up, if you are printing a skirt it'll be irrelevant.
You'll also lose some of your retract distance to the backlash, that will probably result in having to specify a larger retract to eliminate stringing and potentially a small blob where the retract starts because of the slight retract delay introduced by the backlash.
July 25, 2012 08:08PM
Just wrap some kapton tape around the nut so it fits tightly. Then you can print a new large gear after you have it all up and running.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 25, 2012 08:16PM
Epoxy the nut in place. Lubricate the nut if you want to easily get it out later. Make sure its aligned and square as it dries
July 25, 2012 08:19PM
dean448 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy the nut in place. Lubricate the nut if you
> want to easily get it out later. Make sure its
> aligned and square as it dries

That's probably the best option.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 26, 2012 03:51AM
Thanks for the help! I'll try Kapton tape first then print a herringbone gear set.

Andy
December 02, 2012 10:45AM
Hi there,

I have hunted high and low to find a herringbone set for my mendel's bowden extruder. Either I can't find them or can't correctly configure the relevant scad script to get a printable set. Can you help at all ?

Kindest
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login