Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heat pipeconfused smiley

Posted by dissidence 
heat pipeconfused smiley
July 25, 2012 08:17PM
i was looking at some of the other topics for cooling a hot end, and it got me thinking, has anyone tried to use a heap pipe to cool the top of there hot end.? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

i think you could do it with something like this guy http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Evercool-NCA-610-Serpent-Northbridge-Copper-Heatpipe-Chipset-Cooler-/370553337682?pt=US_Memory_Chipset_Cooling&hash=item5646b33752#ht_2562wt_905

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2012 08:28PM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: hear pipeconfused smiley
July 25, 2012 08:19PM
It would certainly work, but you are just moving the heat sink/fan up away from the hot end and adding weight at the same time. Not really sure it would be all that useful.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 25, 2012 08:20PM
i thought if done right they can move allot of hear without much metal/wight, i am trying to see if i can find any on ebay to try the idea out with.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 25, 2012 08:29PM
dissidence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i thought if done right they can move allot of
> hear without much metal/wight, i am trying to see
> if i can find any on ebay to try the idea out
> with.

They do move a lot of heat, but you still have to do something to get rid of that heat, i.e. a heat sink and fan. You never see a heat pipe by itself, as that would be fairly useless. The advantage of a heat pipe is similar to that of water cooling, you can move the heat sink/radiator away from the location of the heat source.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Re: heat pipeconfused smiley
July 26, 2012 03:29AM
I have taken heat pipes out of old laptops, the are excellent at transmitting heat, I think they have acetone or similar inside,
the problem is as mentioned, they move heat from one place to another.

Instead of water cooling why not pass air through the pipes, it would not be as efficient but a lot less weight., I do not know what volume of air would be needed though, I suppose the air could be sucked with a vacuum cleaner, which would act as extraction as well, or use a tiny compressor to push the air, I remember something about air passing through small apertures and the air expansion cases heat loss.

Random Precision
October 01, 2012 06:52PM
I'm about to release an extruder on thingiverse with heat pipes. Look for mk6 redux.
Anonymous User
October 02, 2012 01:32AM
Wow great ! Please tell me how much expensive, I would like to buy from my laptop, basically heat pipe is heat tranfer product which is using for laptops...
October 02, 2012 06:35AM
NewPerfection Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not really sure it would be all that useful.

By moving the cooling system wouldn't it make possible the ability to cool several hotends at once?

I bet that within a couple of years most people will have multiple hotends so a compact cooling system that can be shared will needed.

Andy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 06:36AM by ajayre.
February 11, 2013 01:05AM
I am experimenting with the theodleif's Excalibur Hotend ( [reprap.org] ).
In order to shorten the hotend and the meltzone I added a heat pipe about 5 mm from the meltzone and it is very effective in removing the heat from that zone. I used ordinary copper pipe with no wick and acetone as the working fluid.
Now the search is on for thinner copper pipe and a heatsink around the heatpipes - something similar to a car radiator. The idea is to bring the meltzone down to 8-10mm and the transition zone to 5-7mm with a cold section at room temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 04:14AM by Xabbax.
Attachments:
open | download - heatpipe.jpg (160 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login