Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Turn off PID in marlin

Posted by rizulthkr 
Turn off PID in marlin
December 10, 2015 07:38AM
Can anyone tell me how to turn off PID in marlin . The extruder hot end heats up to 200 and cannot go any further after that. i have tried using lot of PID auto tuning , but its of no use. Moreover the temperature rises very very slow.
Re: Turn off PID in marlin
December 10, 2015 09:17AM
You need the tight temperature regulation that PID affords to maintain print quality. Turning it off won't fix it. You need to figure out what the problem is and fix that.

First, you can't always trust the temperature reading from the controller- does the plastic melt even though the temperature reads low, or is the hot end truly not hot enough to let the plastic flow?

Not having the heater and/or the thermistor solidly attached to the heater block often causes temperature regulation problems. The heater should be in solid contact with the block so that the heat it produces transfers quickly to the block and thermistor which should also be solidly coupled to the block.

Check the wiring to the heater- they take a few Amps- if you're using skinny wires the voltage will drop by the time it gets to the heater and the heater won't produce enough heat. Check the power supply voltage- are you using a 24V heater with a 12V supply? Does your power supply produce the voltage/current it is supposed to?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 10, 2015 09:42AM
hi thanks for your reply..
yes i am able to extrude as the temperature is going to 200, now i dont know if its exactly 200 or not.
Now the heating block is intact and the wires are solid , so i dont think that would be the problem.
i am using ramps 1.4 and arduino 2560 . the power supply is 12v .
Everything seems to be good but the only thing i dont understand is why is the hotend temperature is not going above 200 and the temperature rises very slow after 140.
December 10, 2015 01:20PM
Did you update the firmware with the P, I, and D values that the autotune returned?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 10, 2015 01:54PM
Some electronics have a LED that indicates if the heater is powered or not. If your board has one, does it blink when it reaches 200°C or is it on solid?
If it blinks, is it on for most of the time or off? If your electronics does not have a LED you can put one in parallel to the heater, just check polarity and add a matching resistor.
If it is on solid or most of the time the temperature control is still trying to increase the temperature, but is not succeeding.
In the later case disconnect your heater and measure it's resistance.
With the formula I=U/R (where U is the voltage you use) you can calculate the current. U*I gives you the wattage, which should be at least 20. If it is less your heater just doesn't have enough power to reach higher temperatures. Sometimes you can stretch this a bit by isolating the heating block, but it will still be difficult to maintain a useful temperature.
A possible scenario for your problem could be that you accidentialy got a heater for 24 volt and you are running it at 12V.

Cheers
Björn

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
December 11, 2015 04:17AM
yes i did it.. but none of the values seems to be working
December 11, 2015 04:20AM
well its seems to be very close..
thanks man i guess this may be the problem . i shall check it and tell u asap
December 11, 2015 04:30AM
well i checked it now and the watt is around 10 , so may be this was the problem. Thanks a ton smileys with beer
December 11, 2015 06:37AM
Replacing the heating element shouldn't be much of a problem. Don't get to greedy, more than 20 W are usually not neccesary. If you go or something like 40 you have to take great care if your electronics and psu support it, also the PID values have to be well adjusted to prevent overshoot

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login