Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kapton without shiny bottom surface

Posted by sungod3k 
Kapton without shiny bottom surface
January 08, 2016 09:53AM
Hi,

I recently switched from Alu+hairspray to Kapton tape for bed adhesion and its working well with out the mess that hairspray causes. The only thing I have to complain about is that it leaves a mirror like surface on the bottom that doesnt blend in with the generally matte finished outer walls.

Is that a common experience?
Would it work to rough up/sand the sand the surface or would that lose all the adhesion?
Any other tricks to get around that?

Cheers
Re: Kapton without shiny bottom surface
January 09, 2016 09:42AM
Use "BuildTAK" Its more expensive but lasts 10 times longer than Kapton and gives a smooth matt surface...
( if your carful removing Prints it will last ages )

Blue Masking Tape - works for PLA but not so good for ABS - cheaper than Kapton but usually needs replacing more frequently

DG
January 09, 2016 10:04AM
The Kapton tape on my printer's bed usually last 3-4 months of daily printing before it has to be replaced. I use 5 mil thick tape, not the flimsy 1 mil stuff that most people get. The printer's bed is about 12 x 12" and I use strips of 2" wide tape. When tape needs replacement it is usually just the two center strips that get replaced. I've been working on the same roll of Kapton tape for over two years and still have enough left to last at least a few more.

I don't know if abrading the tape surface would wreck it's grip on prints. You'll have to try it and see. If you're using 1 mil Kapton you won't be able to do much sanding before your tear it or go through it. Since a very smooth surface is easier to clean, I'd rather rough up the bottom of a print with sand paper than rough up the surface of the Kapton.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 09, 2016 06:03PM
Just hit the bottom of the printed part with a little 400 sand paper, should only take seconds to take the gloss off.
January 09, 2016 07:45PM
Ignore it! It'll never cause problems, and some sandpaper will easily scuff the surface if you want looks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login