Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Super size purse i3?

Posted by rich1812 
Super size purse i3?
January 25, 2016 11:03AM
Hi, I have the purse i3, I am thinking of the increasing the print area to 10"x10" by modifying the current one(8x"x8".) Needless to say, the X and Y rods would have to be longer and the middle frame would have to be enlarged, and I suspect the Marlin firmware would also needs to be tweaked.Other than that, what else should I take into consideration? Thanks in advance.
Re: Super size purse i3?
January 25, 2016 12:35PM
not sure on what length it becomes an issue, but 8mm smooth rods move to much, consider 10mm
January 25, 2016 01:25PM
Should be really easy to change the firmware. Think there are just two variables you need to change that say x and y size.

Aside from that, maybe more lash in your belts if hyouhave go really big, but don't think that this small jump should be too noticeable.
January 25, 2016 01:44PM
Thank you all for your replies.
I also find this place where sells the 10" hot bed. [3dtek.xyz].
No surprise that it would draw more power, but it seems doable.
January 25, 2016 04:26PM
May end up needing a more powerful stepper for Y since the bed will be bigger and likely heavier.
January 25, 2016 05:10PM
Also that heated bed says it will draw up to 18a@12v. Assuming you are running a traditional controller the bed probably would need an SSR with heatsink to control the power. 18A is over what most of the connectors, fuses, MOSFETs, and other electronics on controllers can handle. You may also need to get a larger power supply rated at 30a@12v to power bed and electronics.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
January 26, 2016 01:58AM
This may help. My rework of the x carriage using 10mm rods and long bearings and x belt adjuster. A linear slide might be worth looking into also.
[www.thingiverse.com]
January 26, 2016 03:25AM
For a heated bed of that size, you would be better off using 24V power and 24V-capable electronics. Then the electronics will be abe to drive the bed directly, and you won't need such thick wires to it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 26, 2016 09:51AM
gmckee
Also that heated bed says it will draw up to 18a@12v. Assuming you are running a traditional controller the bed probably would need an SSR with heatsink to control the power. 18A is over what most of the connectors, fuses, MOSFETs, and other electronics on controllers can handle. You may also need to get a larger power supply rated at 30a@12v to power bed and electronics.

That's an excellent point. I didn't think of that. I was going to run it out of the existing RAMPS1.4, if I recall correctly, the output for the heated bed is 11A, so it won't cut it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login