Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Missing ball bearing in LM8UU, still good?

Posted by ihaveworms 
Missing ball bearing in LM8UU, still good?
January 25, 2016 12:33PM
I am putting together a Folger Tech i3 and while putting the rod through the LM8UU bearing, I pushed out one of the ball bearings. At this point in my build I was getting frustrated due to those plastic carriage pieces that the bearings don't really fit into to begin with. Anyway, I when ahead and kept the bearing on there as it seemed to work ok with a single ball missing. Would using it with a single missing ball be ok?

I actually can't remember which bearing it was on my printer... so replacing it would be a little tough without replacing most of them.
Re: Missing ball bearing in LM8UU, still good?
January 25, 2016 01:05PM
Since LM8UU are way over specified for our use in 3D printing the lost load capacity shouldn't be any issue. You can expect the bearing to be louder though. In worst case it might wear out earlier than expected, but then again, the LM8UU is used below it's normal specs anyway.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 25, 2016 02:19PM
LM8UU over specified, not my experience, maybe I just got a bag of duds, maybe the more expensive ones are fine, the ones in the block bearings seem much better so perhaps it was a dud batch, but the ones I had shouldn't be called bearings. I also had a ball or 2 drop out, so I'm using the longer ones' not much help to you if your carriages are made for the short ones, at some point i'll change them for bushes, either the igus/ptfe or bronze, depending on where I'm using but I've only found one supplier with the size I need and their £7 each sad smiley not cheap if you have to do them all

I would hope these LM08UU are up to the job
[www.ebay.co.uk]
but I'd be a bit miffed if they where the same as the ones I had
but even if they where good, you would still want to hear your printer with bushes at some point.
January 26, 2016 12:47PM
I think by default the chinese linear bearings are not quite smooth. When assembling my printer I notice some balls floating in the bag too and I asked the seller and he sent me some replacements but the difference is not noticeable so maybe they are just shit and some bearing are expected to fall
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login