Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3d big box

Posted by DjDemonD 
E3d big box
February 03, 2016 02:53PM
[youtu.be]

So it's big-ish (300x200x280 but I read if you have 1 extruder this is a bit narrower in x) has an e3d v6 hotend, has servo/microswitch based autolevelling, a geeetech controller board, is a h-bot design and by all accounts quite laborious and complicated to build and it has an acrylic frame albeit a nicely laser cut one.

Perhaps it prints wonderfully, perhaps not, maybe it's very reliable, I don't think there are many real reviews yet but it doesn't sound all that revolutionary, advanced or special. Is it just me or do you expect more from e3d if they are going to get into making printers? Their hotends are without doubt very good so why not aim a little higher or more cutting edge?
Re: E3d big box
February 03, 2016 03:26PM
There are lots of cheap kits around, so I'm glad to see a new kit that is likely to be of high quality. The 300mm build width is an improvement on the usual 200mm that you get - I have often wanted more build width than my Ormerod provides. E3D dropped the servo/microswitch sensor in favour of my IR sensor several months ago. It would have been nice to see the BigBox using modern 32-bit electronics with a web interface as standard; but they needed a dual-extrusion controller, the Duet 0.8.5 wasn't available when they launched the Kickstarter, and I guess the Smoothieboard 5XC was too expensive. And 8-bit electronics is adequate to control a Cartesian printer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 03:27PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login