Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with switching off

Posted by JedzieMiZmordy 
Problem with switching off
February 06, 2016 03:11PM
Hello,

I have an issue. When I try to print from SD/pronterface I need to heat up hot end before becouse heating from printing mode will turn off my power supply. When I got 240 Celsius and some time to prevent firmware to start heating My axis are moving and I think they cannot set thier 0 position becouse I do not use endstops.

1) How to disable endstops and set homing manually?
2) What can cause switching power supply off, while heating I got 11,35V so It suppose to work.

thank you!

My Setup:

DVD motors,RAMPS 1.4, lcd with sd card.[sendvid.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 03:18PM by JedzieMiZmordy.
Re: Problem with switching off
February 06, 2016 05:47PM
JedzieMiZmordy
Hello,

I have an issue. When I try to print from SD/pronterface I need to heat up hot end before becouse heating from printing mode will turn off my power supply. When I got 240 Celsius and some time to prevent firmware to start heating My axis are moving and I think they cannot set thier 0 position becouse I do not use endstops.

1) How to disable endstops and set homing manually?
2) What can cause switching power supply off, while heating I got 11,35V so It suppose to work.

thank you!

My Setup:

DVD motors,RAMPS 1.4, lcd with sd card.[sendvid.com]

You can disable end stops in the printer's firmware, but most 3D printers use them as it sort tells the software where the hardware is. As stepper motor don't remember their position when you shut off the power.
As for knowing what causing the exact reason for power supply switching off.
There are too much going on in that video with wires everywhere. It could be underpowered as heated beds take about 11Amps (current not voltage)
You are getting 11.35v from a 12v PSU that tells that me it's not able to give the current requirements when printing causing the PSU to cut out and dropping the voltage on the 12v rail.
Spend a bit more time mounting the ramps board and the LCD and tidy up the wiring and you should find it works well

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 06, 2016 11:28PM
Agreed...

You can run without endstop, and set you position manual with g92 command

But its a pain in the butt!!! you have to set this manually every time your turn on the printer as it thinks it as 0 when powered on, till its told otherwise via homeing switches. (X and Y aren’t so bad, it Z that’s the issue)

And yes it sounds like your power supply is crap, get a better one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:34AM by Dust.
February 15, 2016 10:45PM
I have a similar problem. I built a Mendel Prusa and it has worked well for over a year. I then had a problem with the Ramps Shield. The Power Supply connector lifted a trace at the 4 position input connector. No problem, I replaced the board and remounted everything. In the process of re-assembly I miss oriented one of the step sticks (w heatsinks) and decided to replace all of them for good measure. I fired up the machine and started using Cura instead of Repetier Host. Cura is simpler and less techy intense. The problem is the machine starts up and begins to print. It makes two or three initial passes at laying down a 25.4mm cube and then it just stops and makes some very weird sounds. The sounds sound like they might be coming from the power supply. I have used the supply for over a year with no problems. Does anyone have any idea what on earth might I do to try to resolve this problem? Any help would really be appreciated. I am stumped at the moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login