Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plotter Bot

Posted by MechaBits 
Plotter Bot
February 23, 2016 08:46AM

First Test Print...thought it best to test with a pen first, but I have always wanted to be able to use the printer like this, to layout work.
Ideally for example if I could add a piece of aluminium 120 square I would like it to draw out the pattern with marker, but I think I would need a way for the pen to start at corner of work piece, or a way to position piece, does anyone know of a better way to do this, best software combo, without re-flashing arduino. Though I'm quite happy working with just first layers of a 3D part, instead of all the messing around trying to get a 2D vector dwg of the plot. But would need to add cross hairs for centers, so might be best from 2D dwg.
I was lucky in this print, because it came out center of paper, not sure why at the moment, as a result if the hotend was extruding things wouldnt have been central.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 09:02AM by MechaBits.
Re: Plotter Bot
February 23, 2016 08:59AM
I used to print autocad drawings at 1:1 scale to use as cutting/drilling templates. I'd glue them to the metal piece and cut/drill. Much easier and more accurate than trying to plot directly on the metal part or to draw by hand.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 23, 2016 09:08AM
Probably the easiest way, no point using sledgehammer to crack a nut, and a good use for a printer that never seems to get any use these days, I hope printing in 3D will be different. Though all this will change if I do want to try etching milling, I really fancy trying Chillipeppr [www.youtube.com] (mixed up the video link fixed)
but would have to change controller, I wonder if there's a way to wire up a standard quick connect port to enable fast switching of controller (slight topic deviation) or leave all that for second machine, probably best idea.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 01:28PM by MechaBits.
VDX
February 23, 2016 11:55AM
... move your tool-tip to the wished position and write "G92 X0 Y0 Z0" to set it as "0"-position ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 23, 2016 01:11PM
Thanks Viktor, handy to know for future use, not delved into gcode yet, though think my nibs a little fat for any precision,
the printer method would probably yield a better result, that way I dont have all the head moves or have to wait for it to colour in everything, still cool to watch a drawing machine in action.

Building a more portable dedicated doodler would be another way to go, with a mini etch tool.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 03:27PM by MechaBits.
February 25, 2016 11:47AM
Just found this MakeBlock stuff, never seen it before, nice blue meccano type stuff, so should have added to other thread, some handy components.

Anyone know how long this stuff has been going?
Scratch that, seems it was on kickstarted last year raised $200k

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 12:09PM by MechaBits.
February 27, 2016 02:35PM
Second Plot 3 Cam shoot, cant say I'm looking forward to 6hour prints though
[youtu.be]
February 27, 2016 08:09PM
MechaBits
Just found this MakeBlock stuff, never seen it before, nice blue meccano type stuff, so should have added to other thread, some handy components.

Anyone know how long this stuff has been going?
Scratch that, seems it was on kickstarted last year raised $200k

I have the mbot line follower type thing from them. There stuff looks neat but it's so expensive.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
February 28, 2016 06:56AM
Not sure which is the line follower, how much for your kit? it looks a little thinner than 20x20 some of the longer parts look like they would flex a little?. What I find interesting about trying to design a modular system is hole spacings that fit other common parts, you would think 5's or 10's would be a good place to start, but things like rod supports & end bearings all have different spacings, I've designed a number of parts trying to whittle things down to a few basic parts, but they breed & multiply and if you where to consult the community, more numbers would probably surface...42 keeps cropping up smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login