Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New To RepRap

Posted by SysAdmin 
New To RepRap
February 27, 2016 09:51AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to RepRap.

I've been looking at the different 3-d printer models. I saw that there are many different models and I'm assuming that they vary in overall size and function to be able to print things of varying size. My assumption is that the larger the printer model, the larger the object that it's able to print, correct?
Also, is there any page where it gives the specs for the printers? I mean, I saw that the printer dimensions are listed but I'd specifically like to know how big of an object they each can print, etc...

One last thing, I was not able to log in, onto the www.reprap.org home page. On the extreme top right, there is a little "log in" link. Since I am new here I don't have any account with which to log in and there is no place to register. I tried logging in with my forum account credentials but it didn't work. Where can I register for that?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
Re: New To RepRap
February 27, 2016 06:22PM
Take a look at [www.3ders.org]

lists build dimensions

Also note. the larger the build, the longer it will take... ie think weeks for a print. (and plan appropriately, use a USP, have a group of people to watch it 24/7 etc)
February 28, 2016 01:20AM
SysAdmin
One last thing, I was not able to log in, onto the www.reprap.org home page. On the extreme top right, there is a little "log in" link. Since I am new here I don't have any account with which to log in and there is no place to register. I tried logging in with my forum account credentials but it didn't work. Where can I register for that?
Wiki account creation is temporarily disabled because of ongoing problems with spam. If you post a message in this thread it will help the admins keep track of people who want a new account.
February 29, 2016 09:02PM
Thanks for your help!

Also had a second thought,.... Maybe someone wants to answer this.

I am looking into the pros and cons / feasability of 3d printing fiber-optic cable. I have tried to look around the internet for a few days now to find out if anyone has already done this. The cable I am referring to would be this:
[www.google.ca]

If you can't see the picture then I am referring to, then: [en.wikipedia.org]
Basically: An optical fiber cable is a cable containing one or more optical fibers that are used to carry light. The optical fiber elements are typically individually coated with plastic layers and contained in a protective tube suitable for the environment where the cable will be deployed. Different types of cable are used for different applications, for example long distance telecommunication, or providing a high-speed data connection between different parts of a building. (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Does anyone know if this is possible with DIY 3d printers?

Thanks for your help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 09:11PM by SysAdmin.
February 29, 2016 09:25PM
Optical cables have to be perfect, any flaws and the light scatters and you get garbage. I don't think any FDM 3d printer will ever be that accurate. maybe a SLS system, but that going to require a strong laser to melt glass powder.

FDM printing of glass is hard, but has been recently done, but not by any hobbyist (university's and the like) The temperature requirements are quite high.
February 29, 2016 09:44PM
The optical fiber itself is not printable per se; but you could use a 3d printer to make a machine to assemble pre-existing fibers into a bundle. As for actually extruding the fiber; I suppose you could develop a DIY extrusion process to do that; but you will need a full machine shop (if a small one - my little 7x12 bench top lathe and CNC-converted Sieg X3 mill would be good enough; but something like a shapeoko is probably too light duty). Also, if you don't have any machining experience already, expect to do a lot of learning before you get usable parts.

Why do you want to make the fiber? Learning? Fun? Or do you have a specific need that you are trying to fill?

smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login