Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

calculate plastic per layer

Posted by bizit524 
calculate plastic per layer
March 20, 2016 05:56PM
I was wondering. I see online that you can cut different colors of plastic and then put them together to make multi color printers.
I have a good printer but its not amazing as a high end or business class one.
My question is there anyway to calculate how much plastic is used per layer? because I would like to offer a service on 3dhubs to do multi color prints. But I don't want it to be just generic meaning I cut some colors splice them together and thats how it turns out. I want them to be able to specify I want color (X) on 25% then color (Y) from 26 to 42% then color (z) from 43 to 100%. I know there are extra things I can purchase which auto splices it and calculates it but those are like 800$ which I might as well buy a whole new printer with that.
Is there a program that can easily calculate it based on layers or what would you guys suggest??
Re: calculate plastic per layer
March 21, 2016 06:54PM
If you're using relative extrusion coordinates it's a pretty trivial programming exercise in the language of your preference to extract all the E dimensions from the G1 moves and sum them. Then you'd just need to programmatically recognize layer changes. If you're using Z hop you'd need to disregard any Z moves that are immediately followed by a move in X and Y and then a negative Z move.

If you're using absolute extrusion coordinates, the programming is only a little trickier.
Re: calculate plastic per layer
March 21, 2016 11:18PM
Or you can use the filament change Gcode (I've used it before, it seems to work)

M600

You need to enable it in firmware though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login