Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will I need a new Melzi board?

Posted by ninjasmurf 
Will I need a new Melzi board?
May 04, 2014 04:18AM
Been printing for a few weeks now and have produced some really nice prints until last night when I heard a bang from the power supply and the power in my house tripped. When I tried to swicth on the psu I got nothing. Replaced fuses checked connections and the machine for shorts but nothing. I changed the jumper settings on the power to power on from USB rather than the power supply and I get the red LED active.
Got a new psu this morning changed the jumper settings back to power form psu and still nothing.
So it appears that I can connect to the board via usb power in pronterface but I cannot power up the board via mains supply.
Has anyone else come across this and if so is there a fix or is my Melzi dead?
Re: Will I need a new Melzi board?
May 04, 2014 05:08AM
the cct show the board has 7805 voltage regualtor, under the power plug. Im guessing its fried, any good at surface mount resolding?
May 04, 2014 06:03AM
If the regulator is damaged you should still be able to run the machine with the jumper getting the 5V from the USB. It might not be as stable a source of 5V but it should enable you to check everything else is working. In which case it is easy to replace the regulator chip as it is relatively big for an SMT device.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 12, 2014 04:28AM
Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply was out of the country for a few days and haven't had a chance to look at the board until now. I removed the 5V regulator from the board connected it to the power supply and powered it up via the 5V USB jumper setting and everything seems to be running as normal, so it appears that it was the voltage regulator was the fault.
Have ordered a replacement regulator and will hopefully be back to normal in no time.

Cheers for the advice
April 03, 2016 03:54PM
Hello. Maybe I am with this problem. My board is resetting after some minutes printing. I think the regulator voltage is failing. Can you help me and tell how to set the voltage regulator to use 5v from USB instead of the power supply?

Thank you in advance,
[],
Rodrigo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login