Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting Z height after homing

Posted by Undermentioned 
Setting Z height after homing
May 15, 2016 07:46AM
Hi all I just finished my printer build, its a cartesian style printer, I have printed a few cubes to test, they are not looking bad for my first prints.

I would just like to know how can I set my bed level by homing my z axis so that the nozzle touches the bed surface and then moves up say 0.1mm for the thermal expansion, so that I can play around with that 0.1mm setting to get the correct height for my first layer because its such a mission to bed level each corner of my bed.

I am using Marlin and Cura.

Thanks
M..................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2016 07:47AM by Undermentioned.
Re: Setting Z height after homing
May 15, 2016 04:55PM
Marlin understands Gcode commands to set the Z offset.

You could also use the fairly standard process of homing the Z axis to touch a piece of paper on top of the bed.
Re: Setting Z height after homing
May 16, 2016 05:39PM
Yeah so home z then lower the z axis until you just grip a piece of paper (0.1mm approx). Note down how much you lowered it, then if using marlin send m851 z-0.5 if you went down 0.5mm for example. If you can't go lower because travel limits prevent it. Either change your travel limits for z minimum to -1mm or - 2mm to allow the nozzle to go lower than z=0 or send g92 z10 which tells the firmware you are at z=10 allowing you to go lower.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login