Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raised Corners

Posted by ajayre 
Raised Corners
August 07, 2012 06:36PM
The image shows a PLA 20cm x 10cm block with 0.3mm layers. The sides turned out great I am really happy with them - no blobs or defects. However on the top there are two problems:

- the corners are raised up

- the infill is not completely solid between the filament lines and is a little bit "blobby" where it meets the perimeters

How can I improve the print quality to obtain a flat top?

Thanks, Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 06:36PM by ajayre.
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-08-07-block.jpg (23.5 KB)
Re: Raised Corners
August 07, 2012 11:31PM
Well,

Be sure to calibrate the steps per mm for your extruder; ie. make sure a command to extrude 100mm moves 100mm of filament exactly.

Then experiment with your width over thickness so that the lines of extruded plastic are touching.

I like to print the first layer of a 20mm cube; this let's me make sure I am printing a perfect little "postage stamp"

I want that stamp to be perfectly smooth like a piece of paper when I peel it up.

In my experience, once I am making "perfect" postage stamps, the other needed adjustments are found pretty naturally.
August 07, 2012 11:33PM
The plastic could be swelling too, if y are printing too hot and fast.
August 08, 2012 04:27AM
Thanks. The block is perfect in size and shape up until the last two layers where the solid infill is. Should I adjust the infill thickness in some way? Thicker or thinnner?

Andy
August 08, 2012 08:01AM
You probably need more solid layers, three is about the minimum with W/T = 1.5. As W/T gets bigger you need more.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login