Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High Temp Extrusion

Posted by WesBrooks 
High Temp Extrusion
July 15, 2016 06:28AM
Morning All,

I'm currently searching through the internet looking for information on advised modifications in order to run high temperature plastics through the Ormerod II.

If any one has any links to favourite/reliable/unbiased articles on hot ends please share a link with me.

Current interests are with melt temperatures of up to 250C. There are some applications where die temperatures are around the 300C mark, but I couldn't see it going higher than this. If I could create a melt bead in the order of 0.8mm that would be perfect. While I do admire the ability of these machines to self replicate I'm not against using more metal or composite components.

Regards,

Wesley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 07:09AM by WesBrooks.
Re: Modifying Ormerod II for High Temp Extrusion
July 15, 2016 06:54AM
There is a dedicated forum for the Ormerod at [forums.reprap.org] so I suggest you ask there. In the mean time, see [reprappro.com]. But print spare PLA parts for your Ormerod before you print the ABS replacements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 06:56AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: High Temp Extrusion
July 15, 2016 07:12AM
Thanks for the reminder on the Ormerod II forum. I'm using this printer for work based R&D so I often go many months between using it and get right out of touch with everything and have to play catch up! I do remember using your firmware though!

I've altered the topic title from 'Modifying Ormerod II for High Temp Extrusion' to 'High Temp Extrusion' as I am aware there are an number of different hot ends available and I don't believe these are specific to the Ormerod II

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 07:12AM by WesBrooks.
July 15, 2016 07:21AM
The original Ormerod 2 hot end should be OK up to 250C or so, above that the PTFE liner may be an issue. The quick-set nozzle fitted to later Ormerod 2s should be OK at somewhat higher temperatures, but I haven't used it. The thermistor in the Ormerod 2 is rated at 300C. However, if you do want to print at around 300C then I suggest you use an E3Dv6 hot end with either thermocouple or PT100 sensor. You can find instructions for connecting those to a Duet at [duet3d.com] and [duet3d.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 15, 2016 07:28AM
Thanks again I will read through those links. There a re a few mods like the lead screw for the z-axis that I'd like to get sorted at the same time.

As it happens it is PTFE that is holding us back to 250C on other parts of the project.
July 15, 2016 07:32AM
Another thing to watch our for is the high temp heatshrink used on the hot end thermistor - I don't know how well it would stand up to 300C for extended periods.

July 15, 2016 08:11AM
I just realised I may have made a slight muck up. The ABS I bought many moons ago is black, but I guess a better choice would have been white for the hot end parts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 08:14AM by WesBrooks.
July 15, 2016 08:28AM
WesBrooks
I just realised I may have made a slight muck up. The ABS I bought many moons ago is black, but I guess a better choice would have been white for the hot end parts?

I don't think it will make a significant difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login