Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Home?

Posted by NathanB 
Home?
August 04, 2016 12:05PM
I have what is definitely a really stupid question, but I want to know anyway.

Where should I set my home location? From what perspective is 0,0,0 at?

Does it matter?

For instance, right now, my home location is the top-right of my build platform. From normal mathematics, I would expect home to be bottom-left..

I know this is stupid, but I want to make sure this is right... Thanks.
Re: Home?
August 04, 2016 12:54PM
Think of your bed as a graph when viewed from above. So X=0 will be on the left and Y = 0 will be at the bottom. So, yes, bottom left is the usual place for home (and of course just clear of the print surface for Z).
August 04, 2016 01:00PM
Thanks! That's what I needed.. so it looks like either I built my machine backwards (not really possible I think) or the instructions for the "rework" parts instruct you to set the endstops at the wrong location...

Well, plus side is that I already have max endstops installed for my X and Y axes.
August 04, 2016 04:07PM
The purpose of homing is to establish a known location for the print head. You can home the printer wherever you like, it doesn't matter. You just need to tell the firmware whether you have a min or a max homing switch on each axis, and what the coordinate along that axis is when the homing switch triggers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 05, 2016 03:31AM
dc42
The purpose of homing is to establish a known location for the print head. You can home the printer wherever you like, it doesn't matter. You just need to tell the firmware whether you have a min or a max homing switch on each axis, and what the coordinate along that axis is when the homing switch triggers.

Yes of course. I'd forgotten that you can have either a max or a min homing switch. That actually solves a small problem I have with my current build. Thanks DC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login