Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need instructions/ help: SOLVED

Posted by rayzerd 
Need instructions/ help: SOLVED
August 07, 2016 12:16PM
Hello everyone (Please forgive me I'm new to the forum and I am not sure of which thread to go and ask for help),

I'm a new user on here. I've been wanting to get into 3D printing(Meaning I'm a total novice).
I purchased a PRUSA I3 EG-1 (http://www.electronicgeek.ca/products/reprap-prusa-i3-3d-printer-diy-kit-canada?variant=19386151939)
It was a kit, the guy said the bootloader and settings are already set and should be ready to go. The specs said that it was a Melzi 2.0 but when it got here it was labelled Melz_3.0_V3.

Here's where I got the instructions from the seller/ manufacturers themselves. There was a paper that told me to go to this website in the package: [3dprintertutorial.org]
The assembly instructions were okay even though I have the proximity sensor/auto-level.

But it doesn't tell me what to do after assembly! I had to reposition a jumper just to turn the screen on. So the screen is working, Not sure about everything else because I tried to calibrate the auto level but the prox sensor light
is off and when I connected Repetier host and manually control the motors never moved... Did I miss something? I accidentally had the power supply set at 220 volts(Canada's outlets are 110 volts) when I first started it, I hope I didn't fry anything (there weren't any sparks so that was a good sign).

Please get back to me if you have any ideas or need other info.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 09:39AM by rayzerd.
Re: Need instructions/ help
August 07, 2016 08:54PM
Hello,
1. Do you have any pictures? That would be a good place to start. Please take pictures of the control board and the psu.
2. I assume you tested the LCD after you figured out you had the voltage wrong on the PSU or did you do it the other way around.
3. Did Repetier connect correctly? Did your motors make any noise when you try to move them?

On a side note, if you did brick your electronics a new melzi board is about $40USD from ebay and you could probably get a used PC power supply from a local computer store for next to free.
Hope that I can help and good luck.
August 08, 2016 05:59PM
Did your Meltzi have the Firmware loaded to start with? Try reloading the firmware before buying anything. You should be able to download the firmware from the manufacturer with all changes for your specific printer already. If you can not, download Marlin from:

[github.com]

To set up marlin for your specific printer go to the following youtube tutorial by Thomas Sanladerer (He does a great job explaining a lot about 3d printing):

[www.youtube.com]

He also explains how to set the PID in the following tutorial:

[www.youtube.com]

And Autoleveling:

[www.youtube.com]

And Advanced settings:

[www.youtube.com]

Do not forget to calibrate your stepper motors and set your stepper drivers to the proper amperage. There are many YouTube video tutorials for this.

If this does not work, check the voltage coming out of power supply. If you are getting 12 volts from a 12 volt power supply or 24 volts from a 24 volt power supply, you did not fry your power supply. If you are not getting the proper voltage, replace your power supply. If you do all the above and nothing seems to work, you may have fried your meltzi board and/or your LCD controller.

If $40 is steep for a meltzi board you can always go back to using a Mega2560 board with a RAMPS 1.4 Shield. You may have to drill some holes to accommodate the different board. If you buy them separate, you can get the pair for under $20. You may have to drill some holes to accommodate the different board. Of course you will have to reload your firmware whether you use a new the meltzi or Mega2560.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 06:21PM by Lymphomaniac1.
August 09, 2016 09:38AM
Thanks I'll look into these later
August 09, 2016 09:39AM
Found the problem the common ground wire was attached to another Vout. on the PSU. Fixed. Will try and calibrate sensor later today along with other configurations in Repetier.

Thank you both
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login