Slic3r 0.9 Is Out!

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Slic3r 0.9 Is Out!
August 09, 2012 03:52AM
Just saw my favorite slicing program just released version 9.0 smiling smiley

Slic3r Homepage

Download now!

Support Slic3r! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 11:51PM by Idolcrasher.
Re: Slic3r 9.0 Is Out!
August 09, 2012 06:05PM
just been having a play

run the new wizard

i see that it sets the extrusion width on the 1st layer to 200%

has slic3r always done this ?

i did a quick test print and not good at all lines are not sticking on 1st layer need to have a decent look tommrow and over the weekend i think get some new config files sorted
August 09, 2012 10:58PM
The 200% on the first layer is new (as far as I can tell)

I also think that, setting the value to 0 makes it default to 200% also.

I manually enter my values usually, but gave it a shot as it was just for kicks; it did not work so great.

I then manually entered values for the widths and was up and printing great.
August 10, 2012 12:09PM
Just to nitpick a tiny bit; it's not version 9.0, it's version 0.9.0. winking smiley (Or actually 0.9.1 now).

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
August 10, 2012 04:19PM
recently update to 9.1
August 10, 2012 11:31PM
You can sponsor an update? How much does that cost?
August 10, 2012 11:51PM
Nudel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to nitpick a tiny bit; it's not version 9.0,
> it's version 0.9.0. winking smiley (Or actually 0.9.1 now).

Hahaha,

Oops
August 11, 2012 04:05AM
MrJohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can sponsor an update? How much does that
> cost?

That would of course depend on how long it takes to add, and if there's interest and reason for the feature to be added, but programming on demand is not cheap. You could ask Sound for a quote, or make a donation to show your support.

I love the new interface in 0.9.0 btw, great job!

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
August 11, 2012 04:10AM
I just noticed that the last update was sponsored by LOLZbot.
Re: Slic3r 0.9 Is Out!
August 11, 2012 04:26AM
Yes, LulzBot sells RepRap printers and are recommending Slic3r to their customers. With money earned with open source RepRap hardware and software, they sponsor an update so Sound can take time off from other projects to work on Slic3r. LulzBot get a better product for their customers, and the whole RepRap community benefits. Win-win for everyone.

I doubt we'll ever get to know the price they paid, but it's quite irrelevant. LulzBot are giving back to the community, which in my eyes make them part of the good guys.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
August 12, 2012 11:08AM
I see support is finally coming along. It is relatively usable now. Snaps off clean and everything, from my intital experiences. The new GUI is great too. I think it's organized pretty well. Love the ability to save the different settings seperately, Slic3r is definitely becoming a solid Skienforge alternative.
August 14, 2012 07:08AM
I absolutely love the ability to save the different settings for each portion (print, filament and printer) separately and access them from pull-down menus. I was saving all of my calibration tests under different config files but this is MUCH easier and more intuitive. I didn't notice the 'mouse-over' help/description in the previous version either (may have been there) but that's a great feature as well.

The initial 'interview' is a very nice touch. Sets up a few additional things based on your responses as well so I think it will help people get from zero to printing sooner.

Very easy to use and the format and terminology is spot-on.

I'm new to 3D printing, but I'm a programmer and this software is much more intuitive than anything else I've found.

The fact that it supports dual extruders is cool too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2012 07:10AM by a_shorething.
August 14, 2012 11:04AM
I'm really happy about the saved defaults and not needing to hunt down my config every time I open the program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login