Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got a 3D printer related job..

Posted by DaGameFace 
Got a 3D printer related job..
September 16, 2016 10:29AM
So, I'm a freshmen in college at the same college my older brother went to last year and the year before. While he was here he had me retrofit an e3d v6 hotend on a rostock max v1 printer. The head of the engineering department was so happy with my prior knowledge of 3d printers from having built my own that he created a new position and gave me a job! I am a proctor in the 3D printing lab and have 5 printers at my disposal.

1- Replicator 2
1- Replicator 2x (dual extruder and extremely finicky)
1- Rostock Max V1 (built from a kit by students in years past, sub par build quality in areas)
2- FlashForge Pros (China replicator 2x ripoffs)

Right now, the only two I have validated as working properly are flashforges. Surprisingly they work very well, though some dingus at the end of last year (before I had the job) had cleared a jam and removed the ptfe liner from the hotend, which was a PITA to get cleared and put back together properly. The replicator 2 should be working though the SD card slot does not (think there is a bit of plastic stuck in it) and will be validating that soon. The Replicator 2x, is a project in itself, I have replaced the old hot ends with more E3D v6's but then realized that makerbot overvolts the crap out of their extruder steppers causing them to get so hot that it melts the filament with the hobbled bolt, bought new stepper drivers with adjustable voltage to hopefully fix this. If not, will be gutting the electronics and making it a reprap based machine.

Need some help diagnosing the Rostock, last year it was working fine, someone had tried to update the firmware and failed causing it to move downward about a centimeter then stop when told to home. I flashed new firmware to it which is working except for one of the steppers for the tower which does not. Any ideas? Just occurred to me as im typing this that I could try to plug the stepper motor into the slot of one of the working ones..

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
Re: Got a 3D printer related job..
September 16, 2016 06:39PM
Great! Good luck and have fun!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 17, 2016 09:14AM

causing them to get so hot that it melts the filament with the hobbled bolt

eek! I just had to bump up the current on my nema14 extruder, so now it's running at about 65C. I thought that was bad enough, but hot enough to melt filament? That's a whole 'nuther thing! I'm either going to have to go with a higher gearing ratio for my extruder or add active cooling to the motor. Choices, choices...
September 17, 2016 03:02PM
JamesK

causing them to get so hot that it melts the filament with the hobbled bolt

eek! I just had to bump up the current on my nema14 extruder, so now it's running at about 65C. I thought that was bad enough, but hot enough to melt filament? That's a whole 'nuther thing! I'm either going to have to go with a higher gearing ratio for my extruder or add active cooling to the motor. Choices, choices...

Yeah, I thought i was being pretty slick when i mounted two E3D v6's on that makebot, but it turns out that to counter act the ridiculous amount of voltage, they had the steppers connected to the same aluminum that made up their cold end. So when i ditched the old hot end and cold end for the E3D's I removed the steppers active cooling. Hopefully the new stepper drivers will solve this issue, though i discovered that there are strange boxes built in line of the stepper motors wires. I dont know what they do, but they may be for upping the voltage and am not sure what will happen when i replace the stock makerbot steppers.

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login