Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GT2 Belt tensioner

Posted by makerparts 
GT2 Belt tensioner
September 22, 2016 05:30PM
A DIY GT2 belt tensioner
salvaged a Guitar Tuning Knob/Machine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 05:31PM by makerparts.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
we are proud to be an official Openbuilds distributor.
Re: GT2 Belt tensioner
September 22, 2016 05:41PM
So how does this work?
I know how it works with wire, but for a belt?
September 22, 2016 05:49PM
I will post a design soon.

Makerparts.ca
Your Canadian source for V-Slot Extrusion, CNC and 3D Printing Parts and Accessories.
September 23, 2016 07:34AM
here is a revised version.
bit bulky but it works well.

belttensionerv1.stl

Makerparts.ca
September 23, 2016 06:48PM
It's not very obvious how that mechanism would work, can you explain it for us please?
September 23, 2016 07:14PM
It looks like it would hold one end of a non-continuous belt, allowing you to adjust tension with the tuner knob. Imagine mounting it on the X carriage instead of the usual belt clamp.
September 23, 2016 07:53PM
The belt makes one full turn around the pulley, thus locking it down. Guitar string tuners use worm gears to tension the strings- you can change the tension with the knob but the tension pulling in the gear can't make it loosen. OTOH, guitars have to be retuned frequently...

I'm not generally concerned about weight or bulk, but this thing seems unnecessarily bulky and heavy for such a simple function.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 23, 2016 11:04PM
Video about it

[www.youtube.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

Makerparts.ca
September 23, 2016 11:05PM
the_digital_dentist
this thing seems unnecessarily bulky and heavy for such a simple function.

Can you show a smaller mechanism that works in a similar fashion.. easy to adjust (without undooing screws/nuts/zipties

Makerparts.ca
September 24, 2016 12:41AM
How about mounting the motor mount or the idler pulley in slots that allow it to be pulled tight then screwed down? You only have to adjust belt tension very rarely. Guitar tuners are designed for something that has to be adjusted frequently and with a lot more tension than a GT2 belt.

Here's a motor mount I am using in a CoreXY mechanism. The mount is made from a piece of square aluminum tubing, screwed to the base plate which has slots. When I am adjusting the belt tension I loosen the screws, pull on the mount, then tighten it down. I won't have to adjust it again for a long time.

Belt clamp for extruder carriage used on my current printer: [www.youmagine.com]

Belt clamp for coreXY:

Belt tensioner for current printer, soon to be replaced with a much simpler, aluminum part:

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 28, 2016 06:53AM
looks very good
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login