Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printers, need suggestions

Posted by SkyHighBiz 
New to 3d printers, need suggestions
August 11, 2012 05:52PM
hey guys, I think this seems to be the place to be to find people very knowledgeable of 3d printers. I need a suggestion.

I'm looking to get a 3d printer that is reasonably priced, preferably dual print heads, and 12"x12" print envelope.

Anyone got any ideas?
Re: New to 3d printers, need suggestions
August 11, 2012 06:28PM
Things you probably don't realize.
12x12 would be considered a large footprint, you will probably have to self source and scale a design.
Dual hotends sound good in principle, be very little of the free software supports them in a useful way currently.
August 11, 2012 07:32PM
So what would be my best option
August 11, 2012 07:40PM
I built my Prusa i2 with each threaded rod a few inches longer than the design (triangle 18.5", x=18", z=17.5"). The end result is print bed size a little larger than 10"x14".
There are some minor design changes too. My y endstop is placed beyond the frame with one y smooth rod extending out of the frame (on top of it).
Its easy to scale Prusa up a little. So long as you do not double its size, you do not have to worry about twisting/shaking of the frame.
You can always print some frame stabilizers already available on thingiverse.
August 11, 2012 07:53PM
Most designs can be scaled, but you'll likely have to source the parts yourself.
A lot of designs are in the 200mmx200mm build envelope range, mostly because heated bed PCB's are readily available in that size.
Mendelmax is easy to scale, as is the standard Mendel, there are a lot of good designs out there.
You're going to discover pretty quickly that printing parts that large and getting them to not warp is anything but simple.
The other issue you'll run across is you'll likely have to build a custom heated bed and because of the increased area it might need enough extra power to reach temperature that you can't easily drive it off the standard electronics.
August 11, 2012 07:57PM
I just need to print pieces that are 12"x12"x0.25" hehe. I guess maybe I'll just have to make old fashioned molds or wait a year and see what comes out.

By source do you mean assemble something such as the mendel, then print out larger parts and mod it? I'm surprised nobody sells 3d printers that could print in this size, thought for sure there would be some.

As you can tell, I don't really know what self-sourcing, PCB's or y-endstops are, yet, but I was hoping there would be a pre-assembled one that is desktop size that could do this for me. hehe.

Are there any links that have directions for something like a MendelMax being scaled up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 07:58PM by SkyHighBiz.
August 11, 2012 08:03PM
By self sourcing I mean you'd have to buy the parts from several different suppliers rather than a "kit".
You could likely use the standard plastic parts, but int the case of say MendelMax, you'd need longer extrusions, rods and screws.

The problem with printing that large is that plastic shrinks as it cools, as you deposit a hot layer on a cold layer, then that layer shrinks, it pulls the upper layer inwards warping the part. This limits the practical print area. The way commercial printers work around this, is to heat the entire build volume to just under the glass transition temperature of the plastic wich minimizes the forces while printing, the entire part then cools at the same rate.
August 11, 2012 08:05PM
SkyHighBiz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised nobody sells 3d printers that
> could print in this size, thought for sure there
> would be some.

[thefutureis3d.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 11, 2012 08:41PM
Hey Cameron, I saw that site and was intrigued, I just couldn't find too much info on them. Are they good printers?

Edit: This is what I'm going to want to print. [i49.tinypic.com]

like I said it's about 12"x12"x3/8". Do you think that 3D future printer would be able to print that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 08:44PM by SkyHighBiz.
August 11, 2012 09:47PM
SkyHighBiz Wrote:
> Hey Cameron, I saw that site and was intrigued, I
> just couldn't find too much info on them. Are
> they good printers?
>
> Edit: This is what I'm going to want to print.
> [i49.tinypic.com]
>
> like I said it's about 12"x12"x3/8". Do you
> think that 3D future printer would be able to
> print that?

That looks pretty trivial to print on almost any existing printer provided you are ok with breaking it up into 4 4x4 squares. You could design interlocking connectors (picture dovetail joints or similar) and/or weld the pieces together with acetone (if printed in ABS).
August 11, 2012 09:54PM
Well, I had thought of that before, but I need to print lots of these and they need to be precise, they are actually going to be interlocked already to make a 2'x3' layout. 12x12" pieces were voted the best, so it would only take 6 pieces, rather than if I broke it down even more it would be 24.

I'd consider it, maybe I should see if that future 3d company can custom build a 12.5"x12.5" build envelope printer for me. tongue sticking out smiley
August 11, 2012 10:35PM
The Future is 3D can build a Prusa Mendel up to 16"x16". You are paying a considerable premium for that large of a build area though. A standard 8" x 8" PCB can be had for $30. A custom 16" x 16" build platform is $400. The Mendel design (Prusa or MendelMax) are pretty tried and true. Doesn't really matter too much on who you buy it from, they are all using practically the same technology and designs.
August 11, 2012 10:53PM
Well I appreciate everyone's help and considerations.

I guess all I have left to ask if there is any companies/freelancers selling something similar to Future3d but cheaper?
August 11, 2012 11:25PM
Honestly if you're trying to do manufacturing of that model in plastic, I think you'd be better off with a CNC router than a 3D printer, it would be a lot faster, you'd buy the plastic sheet at the right thickness and just route the grooves.
If you're making LOTS of them then I'd injection mold.
August 11, 2012 11:33PM
Well, I need to do lots of prototypes, and also LOTS of other pieces (little fences, fire hydrants, trees, walls) that one is just the biggest one I need to make. Also on the bottom of that design there are some grooves also

I would do injection molding if I was making thousands and thousands pieces, but I need to make lots of different stuff and the designs will be constantly altered and a 3d printer seems like the true calling.

a cnc router would be dope for the big piece, but I fear I would need the 3d printer also lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 12:16AM by SkyHighBiz.
AS I am new to 3d printers and want to build my own,just wanted to know different frames available for designing and the reasons why should I opt for that particular frame design.i.e specifying the stability features and optimum material use.I want to design frame in 500x500mm.
August 13, 2012 02:22PM
SkyHighBiz Wrote:
Well I appreciate everyone's help and considerations. I guess all I have left to ask if there is any companies/freelancers selling something similar to Future3d but cheaper?

Yes ofcourse there will some companies to serve you with this. Freelancers will be more effective!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 02:23PM by hondalawnparts1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login