Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any one seen the Folger Tech FT-5?

Posted by zastin17 
Any one seen the Folger Tech FT-5?
November 03, 2016 07:17PM
So I am looking to get a better printer for better print quality. I have a prusa i3. It has been nothing but problems. Right now I am battling getting both z axis motors to stay in sync. I saw this printer and youtube and saw that the price was only $499. The printer seems to have solved pretty much any problem that effects print quality. Using linear rails instead of linear rods. Isolating z axis motors using a belt, Using 4 rods on the z axis to prevent the bed from bending down and keeping it still. More Powerful motors, Replacement ramps with a MKS Gen 1.4. Huge print volume. No play on the y and x axis rails. Leadscrews on the z axis, Even the rods are chromed. This printer would cost less than upgrading my current printer. Pretty much every physical issue that could effect print quality seems to be solved with this printer. This seems like its to good to be true, But its not!! Does anyone have this printer and could they provide some pictures showing the print quality. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 10:23PM by zastin17.
Re: Any one seen the Folger Tech FT-5?
November 03, 2016 11:24PM
I built a Folgertech FT5
not working quite right with provided extruder.

for $500 a good buy, A BIG printer!

If you have not built a 3D printer kit before --- I would be careful?

Assembly manual out at:
Google Drive Link: (Build Guide and Firmware)
[drive.google.com]

Melimine plates in some areas may need to be replaced

Folgerforum
[www.folgerforum.com]
has all the answers, and lots of mods

confused smiley
November 04, 2016 12:13PM
I already have all the parts needed for a new bowden extruder including a e3d v6 I was planning on installing onto my half working not working prusa i3. Yes I do have experience with building printers. This should be no problem. I have access to a machine shop so if I do need new Melimine replacement parts I can make them out of aluminum...... Or print themsmiling smiley It just blows my mind how cheap it is. The parts seem to mostly be top notch quality too. "Except for the malimine and third party hotend. The only possible things that would make this printer absolutely perfect is a bowden hot end and extruder. Ballscrew for x and y,
Any Other problems you had?
November 04, 2016 08:08PM
I have one and am very satisfied with it, even the melanine and mk8 extruder / hotend are perfectly functional. It is stable, fairly silent, runs fast. I just upgraded the printhead to a titan geared extruder + volcano 0.8mm hotend and can get big parts out real quick. While not perfect, it is very nice for the price, even considering shipping and EU import taxes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 08:15PM by orea.
November 04, 2016 08:42PM
Z is not even a Ballscrew
Ballscrews for X and Y
Why?

You would need very expensive multi start leadscrews to get any speed
Timing belts on the linear rails seem fine.

Have used Bowdens not a fan!

The bed heater on my FT-5 won't get bed with glass plate above 70 deg C.

You can upgrade it with $10,000 of stuff

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login