Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spaghettification half way through print

Posted by ss002d6252 
Spaghettification half way through print
December 17, 2016 03:31PM
I have calibrated all of the axis and they're spot on measurement wise, as is the extrusion.

When I print however it's getting half way through the print and just printing spaghetti (picture attached)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing it ? Any help appreciated.

Prusa i3
0.4 nozzle
RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin.

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 03:32PM by ss002d6252.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (25.9 KB)
Re: Spaghettification half way through print
December 17, 2016 03:34PM
Did the print break free of the bed?
Did the drive gear come loose on one of the axes?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 17, 2016 03:42PM
The print adhered to the bed fine, that's what was throwing me.

I've tried a couple of prints and it's happening at the same sort of point in each (i.e roughly the same height).

The axis all seem to be moving fine - nothing obvious that I can see. Some vibration when I use infill but I doubt that's the issue as the same spaghetti issue occurs with hollowed items (printed fan nozzle etc) with minimal infill.

Craig
December 17, 2016 03:46PM
If you look carefully at the picture you can see where the layers have suddenly shifted by about 10mm to the side.

Craig
December 17, 2016 05:10PM
Turn down the acceleration/jerk settings or slow down the print speed.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 17, 2016 05:20PM
Symptoms described above suggest momentary thermal shutdown on the stepper driver, having reached a critical temperature after a given amount of running, hence occuring roughly around the same point in the print. Have you got a fan cooling your electronics? (ill hazard a guess that you havent). If not, put one on, and also make sure you have heatsinks on the stepper driver chip. That should remedy the issue.

I will also add that if you have no fan, but do have heatsinks fitted, and you are experiencing the issue so soon into a print, your motor current setting on the stepper drivers might be a little high.

Flex3Drive.com
December 17, 2016 06:20PM
ss002d6252
If you look carefully at the picture you can see where the layers have suddenly shifted by about 10mm to the side.

Craig

Hi Craig,

if you provide higher resolution photos it will be easier for people to spot that sort of thing. For the many possible causes of shifted layers, take a look at [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 06:20PM by JamesK.
December 18, 2016 07:44AM
the_digital_dentist
Turn down the acceleration/jerk settings or slow down the print speed.

Thanks - that appears to have sorted the issue. Just need to fine tune it now but the spaghetti monster is no longer present.

Craig
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login