Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automatic mesh bed leveling how?

Posted by icefire 
Automatic mesh bed leveling how?
November 28, 2016 04:49PM
Sorry if the question has already been asked but I couldn't find much useful information.

So I have been playing with an inductive sensor for a few days which I find surprisingly accurate and consistent. After trying out automatic bed leveling in grid and 3-point mode I decided to try out also the so called mesh bed leveling procedure.

So I followed the instructions here to set up manual mesh leveling mode and the result was great. However, since I have a sensor, it would be great to put it to some use. So I want to ask if there is some way to make the mesh bed leveling work with a sensor, i.e. the sensor probes the given number of points, calculates how the bed surface works and then lets the user input a Z offset so the bead surface.

I read somewhere that the Prusa i3 mk2 works like this.. So.. if it is true it means that in can be done.. Any insight into this is highly appreciated smiling smiley

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
Re: Automatic mesh bed leveling how?
November 30, 2016 05:06AM
I think to do this you need to use marlin dev_ubl. Which also prints straight objects onto uneven beds by removing the unevenness during the first few layers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 05:10AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
December 07, 2016 07:23AM
Hi!

I have same issue, did you solve it? My printer is a Prusa i3 Hephestos from BQ, I've replaced original bed (200x200) with aluminium heated bed (200x300) but corners are under plate's center, so I need to compensate it. I'm trying with RC7 but i don't know how activate automatic mesh bed leveling using inductive sensor, I'm able to do it manually but not automatically.

Thanks!
December 07, 2016 07:33AM
Did you try the dev_ubl branch?

I haven't done anything yet because it's not at the top of my priority list smiling smiley

Self-sourced Mendelmax 2.0-based Reprap Machine -- Ramps 1.4 & Mega 2560 -- DRV8825 (Z@1A, [email protected], [email protected], E@1A) -- genuine E3D v6 direct setup -- 350W custom silicone heated bed -- ABS 1,75mm -- Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 -- Cura 15.04.6
December 07, 2016 08:55AM
You could try repetier firmware as that supports auto mesh levelling afaik
December 08, 2016 06:48AM
I thought I'd have a go with dev_UBL yesterday, on my corexy. It probes the bed and makes a map of the heights. Its not too tricky to setup, although its forked from a version of marlin not quite as up to date as RCbugfix, I am sure eventually they will be merged.

Whilst it seems to work it is a bit complicated in its implementation, there are a lot of parameters for things like manually probing the areas that auto probes cannot reach etc... I can't help but feel its a bit over-complicated.

The G26 check mesh function, which promises to automatically print a test pattern didn't work for me.

As such since 9 point manual mesh levelling isnt that much of a problem, and seems to work, and my bed seems stable enough that I don't have to do it that often I went back to RCbugfix.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
December 08, 2016 08:36AM
Agreed. I tried to use the dev_UBL and found it to be too cumbersome so I gave it up.
I just use G29 leveling and it works good enough and its simple with one command.
December 08, 2016 10:07AM
I'm using it as my bed on this machine is a bit thin its 3mm rolled aluminium and it warps slightly when hot. G29 levelling gets me close but one corner is always lower than the rest of the bed. Manual mesh works for now.

Its shame grid can't be implemented as simply as DC42 has on RRF where you just define the grid size, number of points and ask it to probe.

Simon Khoury

December 08, 2016 09:22PM
Have you tried repetier? I think it has a good software levelling setup. However installing and commissioning a whole new firmware with associated issues, seems like a lot of faffing around just to get good bed levelling.
December 28, 2016 05:48AM
No, I didn't, I didn't want to fiddle around setting up a new firmware from scratch, sorry for the late replay, somehow I missed your post - apologies.

I just found out that bilinear bed levelling is now part of the new RC8. I am eager to check it out smiling smiley

[github.com]

Make Bilinear (Mesh) Grid Leveling available for non-delta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2016 07:54AM by icefire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login