Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shapeways Beta

Posted by degroof 
Shapeways Beta
July 24, 2008 02:32PM
Just saw this article: [www.boingboing.net]

There might be some beta accounts left, for anyone who'd like to get some 3D printing done.
Re: Shapeways Beta
July 25, 2008 04:20AM
Cool. Unfortunately for me, they're in Europe (I'm in the US). From the limited time I looked at it, though, it does look like they'd be willing to ship to the US.

Just to pique curiosity/interest (and to help out people using search), they say they're using a Stratasys FDM system that can make objects up to 35x25x25 cm. [www.shapeways.com]

What's interesting to me is their level of professionalism. They have an easy-going style and fairly non-technical presentation on the front end. This is easily apparent by the graphics and fonts used on the site, as well as a quick read over a few of their pages.

I believe this is primarily to ease consumers into the market. I'll bet they think that if they acted more scientific/professional/etc. then consumers with little or no knowledge of the technology would be scared away. It's a simple and sensible approach, and I applaud them for implementing it.

Perhaps this company, and others like it, will be able to grow the 3D printing market to the extent that it can become relevant to the world economy, within the near future (I think 10-20 years could be called "near" in this sense). I certainly hope so.
sid
July 25, 2008 07:25AM
so.. signed up.. wish me luck, maybe I'll get an account

'sid
July 25, 2008 01:34PM
I have an account with them.

I tried uploading all the parts for an extruder, but they are treating stl units as meters and all the parts fail saying they are too large
July 25, 2008 02:27PM
You can scale the models using AoI. There's info on this page [reprap.org] on how to scale from inches to mm. Just use 0.001 instead of 25.4 to scale mm to meters.
July 25, 2008 05:47PM
wow, aoi is tricky to use...

I'm pretty sure it didn't scale right, but it kind of looks like its supposed to except it looks like its missing the arm part.

[www.shapeways.com]

Size:
Height 1.0 cm
Width 3.6 cm
Depth 11.7 cm

getting this one part printed with them would cost $106.25! oh well...
July 27, 2008 08:09AM
I live 40 km or half an hour (by car) away from them (Philips High Tech Campus). I could personally pick up parts if they allowed me to winking smiley

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
July 27, 2008 09:01AM
mellery,
It looks to me like it has got one or two of the triangles facing the wrong way in the gap for the clamp nut. They don't respond to light as they should indicating a problem with their normals. This is the reason I gave up on AOI.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login