Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mirror/inverse print

Posted by badhank 
mirror/inverse print
August 16, 2012 03:24PM
Hello

Setup: Prusa Mendel i2/sanguinololu 1.3/sprinter/slic3r

Just realized my printer is printing a mirror image of everything. When looking at my printer:
Y motor + endstop is in the front
X motor + endstop is to the left
Z motors on the top, endstop on the bottom (betting this is correct)

When in the home position, the build plate is all the way to the front and all the way to the left. The home position would be where you start reading a page in a book, "top left".
Is this the correct orientation that the firmware expects?
The first print motion to clear the nozzle starts at the top left of the plate and zips diagonally right and "down" to the build area. This is opposite to the first layer representation in pronterface which shows the home starting at the bottom left (i.e. build plate further away from the motor)
In pronterface all of the buttons to jog the axis work exactly in the directions you would expect them to.

Have I built something backwards (specifically y axis)? Is this something I can correct in the firmware (and if so where)? I would like to avoid taking things apart for the 5 billionth time if possible. What do?! please be specific as possible

Regards
Re: mirror/inverse print
August 16, 2012 03:56PM
i had this for a long time before i even noticed lol

just reverse the direction of X carriage in the firmware (you can do it hardware with wires if needed but firmware is easier)

if you then find that your X end stop is wrong you need to change that as well in the firmware

same with Y just need to do a test print

i used this to work out if i had the correct way round thingiverse 6752

as if you are the wrong way round the number 2 will print wrong
August 16, 2012 04:06PM
Hello Enlightx

Where might one find the settings in the firmware and what are they named? Should the y motor be in the front? Is my home position correct of should the print board be as far away from me as possible?

Regards
August 16, 2012 05:05PM
As long as the movement directions are correct, you can call anything you want the front.
You want to home to either front left or rear right.
The settings are in configuration.h.
August 16, 2012 05:37PM
Hello Polygonhell

Just to be clear on home:
"Front Left" is the position of the board relative to the machine and the nozzle is "rear left"(like starting a page in a book)?
--the alternative is that the board is "rear left" relative to the machine and the nozzle is "front left"

In regards to inverting the y axis in the firmware:
1) which variable names am I looking for, more than one in separate places or just a single variable?
2) Does this change the direction the bed will move/Do I have to move my endstop to accomodate this? Or is this an software only change that will correct the mirroring.

Regards
August 16, 2012 05:58PM
No the nozzle is at the front left of the bed (bed to the rear nozzle to the left) or at the rear right of the bed.
August 16, 2012 06:01PM
You can either reverse the direction of X or Y to get it printing properly. I use the nozzle being front left as zero, so that the bed is as far back as it goes and the extruder carriage is to the left. Look in the configuration.h file, there will be a line that says something like reverse_x_direction (or y). Then you will also have to move the endstop for that axis to the other end.

Edit: Polygonhell beat me to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2012 06:02PM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 16, 2012 06:18PM
The Marlin config lines look like the following
#define INVERT_X_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
August 16, 2012 10:08PM
Hello All

I was hoping tosimply make the y print opposite, the firmware settings did not do that. I trien many settings (http://www.thefrankes.com/wp/?p=2651 was one) but nothing made it work the way I wanted.
I have just reversed the pins in the wiring and put the endstop at the far side. Thank you for providing the correct orientation and all your help. I get the feeling I should have never starting building thin in my living room, I will never get to put my tools away.

Regards

TLDR for future generations:
Fix a reversed axis by reversing the pins for the motor and moving your endstop to the other side.
August 17, 2012 02:27AM
The other way to do it is change the axis direction in firmware and redefine the min endstop as a max endstop.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 28, 2015 11:58PM
I have the same problem in my Prusa I3. I connect inverted X and Y motors and their respective endstop switches.
December 22, 2015 04:28AM
Hello,

I had the same issue with my Prusa i3 maxi. Mirrored along X axis.

The aim is to use the X endstop not as MIN endstop but as MAX endstop

What I did:
Check the config by sending M119 in pronterface.
SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: TRIGGERED
y_min: open
y_max: TRIGGERED
z_min: open
z_max: TRIGGERED

Disconnect and shutdown.

Connect the X endstop on the MAX endstop pin on the Arduino Mega board. It's just the pin connector nearby.

In Arduino config :
Invert the value of INVERT_X_DIR
and set X_HOME_DIR to 1

Power up and send the new config to the board.

Then connect Pronterface and send M119 again
Reporting endstop status
x_min: TRIGGERED
x_max: open

Now click on X home position.
It should go to the usual X home position but print X mirrored now!

Regards
December 23, 2015 05:28AM
As for building it in your living room, no you will never get to put your tools away, there is always something broken, that needs adjusting or upgrading.
December 23, 2015 05:29AM
There might be a market for a multitool leatherman-type thing for 3d printers?
January 01, 2016 08:19AM
kokoi
Hello,

I had the same issue with my Prusa i3 maxi. Mirrored along X axis.

The aim is to use the X endstop not as MIN endstop but as MAX endstop

What I did:
Check the config by sending M119 in pronterface.
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: TRIGGERED

Disconnect and shutdown.

Connect the X endstop on the MAX endstop pin on the Arduino Mega board. It's just the pin connector nearby.

In Arduino config :
Invert the value of INVERT_X_DIR
and set X_HOME_DIR to 1

Power up and send the new config to the board.

Then connect Pronterface and send M119 again
Reporting endstop status
x_min: TRIGGERED
x_max: open

Now click on X home position.
It should go to the usual X home position but print X mirrored now!

Regards

Hi, did you manage to correct the mirrored x axis? I am having difficulty fixing this issue
January 01, 2016 02:55PM
The main thing is to make sure your printer is moving in the right direction. I've drawn up this diagram:

So if you command X+ the nozzle should move to the right.
If you command Y+ the printbed should move toward you.

As noted above, you can reverse the stepper wires for the motor going in the wrong direction (with power off) or change the Invert setting in firmware.

See also this thread: [forums.reprap.org]

Hmm, this seems to come up a lot, so someone with a Prusa/mendel should make a Wiki page...

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
January 01, 2016 10:05PM
Paul Wanamaker
The main thing is to make sure your printer is moving in the right direction. I've drawn up this diagram:

So if you command X+ the nozzle should move to the right.
If you command Y+ the printbed should move toward you.

As noted above, you can reverse the stepper wires for the motor going in the wrong direction (with power off) or change the Invert setting in firmware.

See also this thread: [forums.reprap.org]

Hmm, this seems to come up a lot, so someone with a Prusa/mendel should make a Wiki page...

Thanks for your effort, I should have mentioned that my printer is CoreXY style. Changing the stepper wires is not an option I think.
January 01, 2016 11:20PM
With coreXY you can still invert direction of the stepper by rewiring the stepper, but it its relationship to the axis that you want to invert is not so direct.
You can also swap the two steppers over to invert an axis..

From memory (It was a while ago when I looked at this)
so if motors both turn same direction, X moves
it motors spin in opposite directions, Y moves.

To swap X and Y movement reverse direction of one motor (any one)
Just turn the stepper plug around if you can (while off!) (or re wire if needed)

In your case you say X is backwards

So you need to swap the two stepper plugs then. so your X and Y steppers plugs (for lack of a better name), get swapped over
This will invert X while Y stays the

Make sure you fix the endstops after this... before attempting to print

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 11:24PM by Dust.
January 17, 2016 02:56PM
Thanks for the reply, just getting back to this. It just doesn't work swapping motor wires or inverting the wire. I think my problem is the location of the end stops. The x is back left hand side and the y is at the back too. There should be a way to this. I could move the end stop but the way the machine is configured back left is the best spot for the x endstop.

Any ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login