Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End of the Roll

Posted by Mogal 
End of the Roll
March 30, 2017 12:30PM
Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
- I haven't printed for awhile (just over a year, so maybe its the roll?)

But the roll is coming close to the end, and the filament is wrapped so tight around the spool, its tough to run roll it.
(Even by hand!)
And as it coils off the roll, it twists and bends all over the place. I'm having to pull it off by hand so it doesn't stall out.

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
Re: End of the Roll
March 30, 2017 04:07PM
I've had this problem on occasion, where it tends to yank the spool right out of my spool holder. One thing that might be going on with old filament, there is a secondary crystallization process that happens with PLA when annealing at ~80 deg.C that makes the filament stiffer, more brittle and also increases its softening temperature. I would imagine that this crystallization also takes place, but much more slowly, at room temp. I've often suspected that filament gets brittle over time because of this. (Remelting the filament altogether removes all of the crystallization.)

As for the unwinding problem, I tend to choose filament in rolls with larger cores to minimize the problem.
March 30, 2017 05:06PM
This is one of the reasons 1.75 is becoming more popular than 2.85
March 30, 2017 05:21PM
That roll is 1.75mm

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
March 30, 2017 05:59PM
wow, ive never heard of that happening on 1.75.. good to know since im just starting transitioning from 2.85
March 31, 2017 03:11PM
Its annoying, perhaps some warm air blown over the filament spool might soften it just enough to remove kinks. Only needs to be turned on when your'e near the end of a roll.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login