Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full containment

Posted by cwaa 
Full containment
May 11, 2017 11:14AM
I recently modified my printer from a direct drive extruder to duel Bowden extruders. I did this so I can print in two colors. I like the set up and it works great with ABS. I recently began trying to print PetG and I had all kinds of problems pushing it with my new Bowden setup. I bought these extruders so I could fully contain any filament and possibly print with flex.
After examining the failures, I decided my extruders weren't build properly and the PTFE tubing could bend or flex right where the filament entered it. I designed and printed a filler that solidly holds the PTFE tubing at the gear. It clips on from the top.
So last night I started a print with PetG and this morning it was complete. Some problems on overhang, but the extruder made it through a 5 hour print without spilling filament. Maybe I have it right this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 11:35AM by cwaa.
Re: Full containment
May 11, 2017 03:22PM
Here are some pictures of the setup:

Top view of the extruder and you can seet PTFE tubing is up against the gear, but not supported for about 1/2 inch.

The top of the other extruder with the clip in place. You can barely see the filament at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login