Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New nozzle, filament sticking in throat.

Posted by Aethelstan 
New nozzle, filament sticking in throat.
July 31, 2017 11:07AM
Hi guys, my printer is a self built Heath Robinson type affair. I changed the nozzle from 0.4 to 0.1 this weekend, but I am now plagued with the filament sticking in the throat after a couple of small prints. Obviously it takes dismantling the head to fix it, and in doing so my PTFE liner looks ok, although I will be ordering replacement liner today. As I am removing the stuck filament, I find pulling from one end will snap it off half way through the liner and have to knock the rest out using a 2mm drill and tapping the end. The is some resistance there, but it does free up fairly easily.

My suspicion it the 0.1mm nozzle requires higher pressure to extrude, basic physics really. This extra pressure probably results in the filament squashing inside the throat and expanding to fill the full 2mm internal diameter.

How would this problem be tackled?
Is a 0.1mm nozzle just asking for too much and should I scale back my plans to 0.2mm?

Cheers smiling smiley
Re: New nozzle, filament sticking in throat.
August 01, 2017 04:40AM
With an 0.1 mm diameter the area the filament is pushed through is about 1/15 of that of a 0.4 nozzle. You simply can't push the same amount of material through it in the same time or anywhere near. You need to slow down print speed a lot. I have found anything below 0.3 to be hardly useable and if only for very small parts, that will still take ages to print.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login