Warning: strpos(): Empty needle in /data/www/forum/mods/bbcode/api.php on line 1313
Extruder polyfuse getting very hot and stopping print
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Posted by mitch25 
August 24, 2017 09:34AM
Hi,
I've been using my 3d printer for about 6 months, with the extruder heating up perfectly fine. Suddenly, it has stopped heating in the middle of prints, i checked the 5amp polyfuse and it was extremely hot. When it cooled down again, it was fine. Now it has been triggering very fast, which means heating up much faster than it ever did. I don't know what to do next, because everywhere, people are having trouble with the 11 amp fuse. Im using a 12v 15a power supply.

• Would it be wise to remove the fuse completely, and bridge the gap?
  • If removing it is not a great option, then with what do i replace it? 5amp Polyfuses aren't available where I am.
  • would it help if i attached some kind of resistor from the power supply to the main power input on RAMPS? (Just a random idea)

How can i fix this?
thankssmiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 09:42AM by mitch25.
Re: Extruder polyfuse getting very hot and stopping print
August 24, 2017 10:36AM
DO NOT jump the wire!
The fuse is a safety feature and should remain unless you like the option of fire...

Replace it with an automotive style fuse instead. They sell fuse holders and they are easy to solder on.
August 24, 2017 10:42AM
Others with the same problem

[forums.reprap.org]
August 24, 2017 11:31AM
Hi,
Thanks for the advicesmiling smiley
But which kind of fuse should i get? A 12V 5A one will work? Or would you recommend a higher rated fuse? This is for replacing the fuse for my extruder motors etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login