Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making motors move independently from 3d printer

Posted by uchi91 
Making motors move independently from 3d printer
August 31, 2017 02:54PM
I don't know much about 3d printers and little know about electronics, sorry if this will be simple.

There is an open source cartesian 3d printer project, actually it is CNC but may be converted into 3d printer, mostly printed CNC. I want to see how arduino and RAMPS 1.4 make stepper motors turn.

There is a wiring diagram in this linkDoes this wiring diagram work for every case? I I just want to see motors turn before merging electronics parts to mechanical parts. Will this work for my case?Can you see what changes should be done?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 02:57PM by uchi91.
Re: Making motors move independently from 3d printer
September 02, 2017 07:39AM
The link only links to the main page but I assume that you mean the standard wiring diagram.

and yes you can connect all your electronics to you ramps and test out everything before you install the components in your frame.

i would recommend to test the board connection, endstops and thermistors first with the board only on usb and in a 2nd step the motors with 12V attached.

cheers
Re: Making motors move independently from 3d printer
September 03, 2017 05:05PM
Be aware that the firmware might stop your motor move commands being issued for a number of reasons such as:

An end stop input might be activated and the direction of motor turn would normally drive against this end stop (use M119 to check end stop state).

Some firmwares won't allow the extruder motor to run if the hot end thermistor is not sensing a suitably high temperature (as this would normally result in the filament being ground up by the extruder drive).

Cheers,
Robin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login