Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Threads

Posted by N314 
Threads
August 29, 2012 01:10PM
Hi-

Ive been tuning my printer lately. Im shooting for being able to print working threads. Is it even possible to print threads of a RepRap, or realistic?

Prusa with .35mm nozzle.

-Nick
Re: Threads
August 29, 2012 01:27PM
This thing uses printed threads: [www.thingiverse.com]
August 29, 2012 01:48PM
I realize there are models ot there that use threads, but I want to know how fine of threads, if any, that I can do with a .35mm nozzle on a Prusa.

-Nick
August 29, 2012 11:11PM
Well I get nice m8 printed nuts with a 0.5mm nozzle at 0.2mm layer heights. I do tend to run an m8 tap through them (easily done holding the tap by hand) to reduce friction when I run them onto a rod, but they're pretty good as-is. You should be able to get much smaller threads with your smaller nozzle.
August 30, 2012 01:04AM
Standard RepRap skeining software is not optimal for printing threads because it wants to organize the g-code into slices. It should be possible to hand-craft g-code that prints continuous spirals.

I realise that the goal you probably have is to use everything as-is, so most of what I'm saying is not something a sane person would attempt, but it is possible to build a reprap on which the third axis carries a piece of filament that can be rotated, and printed on to. An additive lathe, if you will.
August 30, 2012 10:46AM
Yeah chances are I wouldn't be able to do that.

The reason I ask is because my engineering teacher has a 30K dimension FDM printer (well the school owns it)... and I think it would be a fun moment if I could print something close to that quality (especially threads), with a $500 DIY machine.

-Nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login