Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Introduction + Beginners Questions

Posted by igorchem 
My Introduction + Beginners Questions
August 31, 2012 09:42AM
Hi,

my name is Igor. I am new in 3d printing, but have srong experience in numerical mathematics and electronics: signal processing, linear and nonlinear iterative solvers, CFD, data prroximation; building power electronics, PIDs, push-pull, step-up, step-downs, pcb routing, microcontroller programming, MEMS, HPC FPGA.

Right now I am interesting to start with 3d printing, mainly because my hobby - airplane model development, and hope to contribute to reprap with my experience in numerical math or/and electronics.

I have no printer now, and I am planning to build it myself to reduce my expencies. I can build complete electronics like arduino + several full bridge control modules, but I do not know where to get the rest.

Additionally, due to my hobby I cannot restrict myself with small size 20x20x20 cm areas, my airplane models should be large enough and it would be nice to build models of 50x40x30cm.

My questions are:

1. is it possible to order only motors, extruders, weels, supports, without electronics (arduino etc) and be able to scale the system such a way to build models 50x40x30cm or larger, and if yes, where and how to do it and how expencive it could be?

2. is there simple and robust manual to build complete system from the scratch?

3. should I care anything else that probably I did not yet know?

Please, help me with my beginners questions!

Sincerely,

Igor
VDX
Re: My Introduction + Beginners Questions
August 31, 2012 10:26AM
... bigger parts will receive stronger warping - with ABS more, with PLA less, but not to ignore too.

Better start with a common design/size, gain experience, and then try to upscale and get away with bigger prints ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 31, 2012 10:40AM
Hi,
I am building my own unit as well, I'll be piecing it together too.
Good place to start is the Reprap Wiki

1. Yes, you can buy all the part yourslef (wiki/here/ebay)
- So far I have $500 into the build, with about $100 to go.

2. First and formost, you need to figure out what varient you want to build, and how easy it would be to modify it to the dimensions you want.
- Get into the Wiki, and read up for ideas

3. Heatbeds for that build size consume alot of power... make sure you get a power supply to handle it.

There is alot more, hitting the forums and wiki will really help.

You could go through the 'for sale' here, see if anyone is local to you?
I purchased local where I could, but still, most of my build has been online purchases.

Sorcing all the parts is almost as fun as the build!

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
August 31, 2012 10:46AM
> ... bigger parts will receive stronger warping

Dear Viktor, thank you for your kind remark. As the beginner, I expected to get such an answer smiling smiley I know this problem, but I still want to start with large building area!

Using large building area I can start to build small models to exersise with. If I build first small device, I will hardly upgrade it with larger one and need to pay twise for the hardware.

PS: I do not plan to invest the rest of my live or my hobby live in 3d printing, but I would like to use my experience in numerical math, electronics, to get fast into the problem and recieve reasonable tool for my other needs.

Sincerely,

Igor
August 31, 2012 11:08AM
Dear Mogal,

thank you for your kind answers!

Yes, I see a lot of docs but was just blow up with them what is best to start with and you helps me a lot.

I have one preactical questions. Right now I am thinking about Prusa Mendel, or RapMan 3.2 Ultimate

Prusa seems to be cheaper, but it is mainly designed for small 17x17x15cm build areas. RapMan is for bigger areas, 27x23x20cm, but still not too big as mine.

If anybody know, please, suggest me:

if I change Stainless Steel Bars in Prusa and modify/write myself the software, can I build larger models?

In other words, which system, Prusa or RapMan is more scalable with appropriate knowladge and minor additional investments?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Igor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 11:21AM by igorchem.
August 31, 2012 04:55PM
you can go as large as you want......

ive seen big builds of prusa and many others..... you just need to pay attention to wobble and warping
warping as above mentioned for plastic dynamics so a good heatbed is needed and you will have to build that yourself with resistor heaters. difficultie in that is to get a even heat distribution.

wobble as the stiffnes of your machine. you can imagin that the bigger the build the more wobble prone it gets. ther are some machines like medenlmax and mendel90 that have more stabiltie then for example a prusa with threaded rods
August 31, 2012 05:59PM
@Igor

Hi-

I own a Prusa.

Having looked at it I can conceive making all the rods longer to scale the entire design. Then you would modify the software to fit, which it sounds like you can do.

The source I used for all my hardware wasUltimachine. You can buy all the parts without the electronics (except for printed parts).

-Nick
August 31, 2012 07:01PM
Personally for something that large I would look at some of the newer designs like mendel90, Mendel Max, ordbot hadron, and maybe even talk to someone from trinity labs about the upcoming mendelmax pro. I am quite new to this myself, but these newer designs seem stiffer in their current sizes and therefore easier to scale up successfully.

GaZ
Try taking a look at www.thefutureis3d.com because they sell a 40x40x43cm printer. Maybe you can find some inspiration from them.
September 01, 2012 04:21PM
I'm just about to start a build of a Mendel90 and I'd suggest you have a look at that. The instructions on the wiki are clearer than a lot and the design is supposed to be flexible to expand dimensions (that said you need to be aware of the risks of building something bigger that may not work / require much more debugging). One of my reasons for deciding to build the Mendel90 was that most of the parts would be re-usable if I decided to build a bigger version, another was that it appears more rigid than the rod based designs.
Anonymous User
September 24, 2012 03:04AM
HI I am Amathaon new member here,,,,,

I have no idea and experience about 3D and other printer,

any one help me give me some idea and detail about it...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login