Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which grease for Z and extruder?

Posted by Enlightx 
which grease for Z and extruder?
August 31, 2012 02:38PM
just wondering what oil or grease people use on there Z Axis (mins squealing currently)

and also if and what type they use on there extuder cogs as there either PLA or ABS guessin some stuff could cause problems.
Re: which grease for Z and extruder?
August 31, 2012 04:12PM
I have started using engine oil on the lead screws as grease can make them stiffer.

I use lithium grease on ABS gears.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 31, 2012 04:23PM
I use gear box oil, but it kind of stinks a bit and also I don't know how well it will last in normal temperature. Maybe it will get sticky over time.

The best I think would be sewing machine oil, very low viscosity and is made for keeping in room temperature and normal humidity.

My 2 cents
/Fizz
August 31, 2012 04:46PM
I use 3-in-1 oil (or sewing machine oil) on Z lead screws and have never wore a Z leadscrew out. It's a lot less viscous than engine oil, but works very well.

For PLA gears, you don't really need any grease or oil, they operate a lot like nylon gears and are pretty resilient.
August 31, 2012 04:46PM
An example from Mcmaster-Carr, and another from Nook industries. Not sure what the alternatives are overseas, but the links should give you an idea of what's recommended in case you're not in the US or it's close proximity.
August 31, 2012 07:42PM
I use 3-in-1 oil on metal parts anyway. I don't think PLA gears need anything but I have some PTFE spray I've used occasionally on them, applying it using a Q-tip.
I found this neat little oil applicator in Halfords (UK and Ireland). I refill it from the 3-in-1 can.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
September 01, 2012 05:39AM
humm thanks for reply guys

had a look on www.screwfix.com (as its 2 min drive away)

is 3 in 1 a brand name ?

as by the looks of it theres loads of different 3 in 1 oils ?

was thinking maybe this Link dont really want a spray easier to just drip it down the threaded rod ?
rcs
September 01, 2012 06:00AM
That is the one that I use as it seems to be a nicee clean oil.
September 01, 2012 06:03AM
nice rcs ill go get some tommrow morning
September 01, 2012 04:36PM
3-in-1 is widely considered to be a bad choice for sewing machines, bicycle chains, guns, etc. It has a waxy component that hardens when the lighter components dissipate. There's some contention about whether that's still true of more recent formulations, which are probably trade secrets.

Sewing machine oil is probably the lightest readily available oil. Gunsmiths seem to prefer it where gummy buildup would be a problem. Light oil can wash the grease out of places where it's needed, though. And it dissipates, so it'd need regular application, unlike a grease.
September 02, 2012 03:17AM
I use Super Lube (PTFE Grease) on both the smooth rods + lm8uu, stainless steel leadscrew + copper nut and extruder gears. It holds up for a good while.

From what I understand, the issue with petroleum based grease is it will wear down plastic parts, but I've seen no wear on my extruder gears so far. Some say lithium grease is better suited for plastic-on-plastic lubrication.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
September 02, 2012 07:54AM
I have been Using a Silicone Spray that's for lubricating my treadmill, on my lead screws.

So far they have moved nice and smoothly and the only noise I get is from the motors smiling smiley
September 04, 2012 10:07AM
I second Nudel
Superlube can be hard to source from a local store but is the best I've tried, as far as grease is concerned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login