Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reverse engineering Marlin configuration.

Posted by SupraGuy 
Reverse engineering Marlin configuration.
February 14, 2018 01:36PM
Okay, so here's the problem.

I got a 3D printer kit with a MKS GEN L board. The board had Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 firmware installed on it before I got it, so I do not have the compiled Configuraition.h file.

The printer has a 2004 LCD controller, and did not come with a heated build platform. I want to add one, for obvious reasons. Currently, I have another arduino which is just handling a heated platform, and does nothing else, and of course it's not under control of the gcode running on the printer. I want to fix that.

I want to reverse engineer a Configuration.h file.

Some of the details, I can get from just looking at the printer, like where the endstops are. I know the bed geometry. I can get the screen to show me the X Y and Z steps per mm.

I'm reasonably sure that the hotend temperature sensor is a 100k thermistor, but I'll want to double-check of course.

The printer uses a 3 point leveling system, that I'm not as confident that I can replicate, but may want to, and would love to be able to move the probe points, but for starters, I'd just like it to keep doing what it's doing.

Other things, like the menu options for tweaking the Z offset, axis movement, preheat presets, and being able to modify those parameters from the LCD controller are all things that I'm not sure where to set for the config.

Any tips and things that I should look for?

Oh, and I am presuming that the thing where it hangs during hte "Heating..." phase is a problem with the version of the firmware, and hopefully upgrading to a later, stable release of the firmware will resolve that problem.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Re: Reverse engineering Marlin configuration.
February 14, 2018 02:16PM
Assuming you trust the settings, jot down the accel and jerk values for x,y,z as well.

1.1.0rc8 did not have an inherent heating bed bug that I know of, mine works fine.
You likely have another problem there.

If you go to 1.1.8 you will need to edit the config by hand to make all the settings.

If you enable eeprom, be sure you understand how to set and clear the settings, errant eeprom values can trip you up if you arent watching.

Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login