Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer doesn't detect 3D printer.

Posted by cheapo 
Computer doesn't detect 3D printer.
March 11, 2018 09:06AM
Tevo Tarantula is simply not detected by my Linux Ubuntu PC. Using the same USB2A to USB2B printer cable for my HP inkjet printer and that is immediately detected and ready to go. I bought a new cable from RS-Components.com and the result is the same. I'm using Cura software, which is part of the approved software repository in Ubuntu, but it says "The Printer Is Not Connected". I can print via SD card, but I need to upgrade firmware etc as I want to use my BL Touch for bed levelling.
Could it be that the printer socket on the printer main board is faulty?
Disappointed with this machine from the start. But I'm pressing on anyway. thumbs up

Any help is appreciated. smileys with beer

Engineeringwise, I'm 'aving a larf!
Re: Computer doesn't detect 3D printer.
March 11, 2018 07:25PM
Unplug your endstops from the board and try again (plugging endstops in backward will short +5v to gnd and effectively power off the board)

secondly watch your syslog file when you plug it in

ie "tail -f /var/log/syslog" in a terminal window.

This will show you if its being detected at all.

and of course lsusb to see any plugged in usb devices
March 11, 2018 08:04PM
What baud rate are you using? For Linux, it needs to be 115200 (not 250000).
March 11, 2018 08:44PM
@frankvdh

That hasn't been correct for some time... Was fixed years ago on Ubuntu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 08:44PM by Dust.
March 12, 2018 03:07PM
Thanx for your help Dust. Yes my machine is detecting the device, both in syslog and in lsusb, but syslog says there is no input driver, so it's ignored. And that's the same with or without the end stops plugged in.
Heh, I guess if someone was pretty kack handed and forceful they might get them reversed, but they are handed, with two 'keys' that fit two slots in each socket on the board.

Terminal readouts attached
Attachments:
open | download - Syslog Malarkey (12.3 KB)
March 12, 2018 04:06PM
I think that since the computer is detecting the serial port (which physically exists on the printer's controller board) that the cable and connectors and so on are all OK.

So I guess the problem must be between the serial port and the controller board's CPU. Maybe it's something to do with the configuration of that connection... what firmware do you have? Can you configure the port settings via the LCD (assuming you have one)?

Otherwise I guess it's a fault on the controller board.
March 12, 2018 06:07PM
I've just been to the Tevo website and their suggest firmware upgrades are Repetier, available from Dropbox. So I presume the installed one is also Repetier. The LCD says Migbot 3D Printer, and no, there's no access to port settings via the screen.
Unfortunately Tevo don't even offer the board or screen as a spare part.
Of course I suppose I should get something done under warranty as I only bought this thing just before xmas last year. Maybe I'll try that. I'm certainly a bit fed up with it and I say that even at £145 via a Gearbest flash sale, it's way over priced due to the terrible quality parts that I've found. eye rolling smiley
March 12, 2018 07:33PM
Log looks ok to me, serial port is being detected and setup as /dev/ttyUSB0

So there is nothing wrong with serial/usb hardware.

Check your user is in the dialout group so your user can access serial ports

or in a terminal just "sudo adduser {your_user_name} dialout" and reboot (technically logging out and back in should be enough, but reboot to be sure)

Load up Cura, and test it.

If still nothing change the baud rate in cura try both these baud rates 115200,250000, also set the port to /dev/ttyUSB0
March 13, 2018 02:42PM
Thanx a million Dusty. After adding me to the dialout and a reboot, I'm connected!!

Have some information about donuts!!

[en.wikipedia.org]

smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login