Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I upgrade my RepRap Mendel for auto bed leveling?

Posted by kdtop 
Can I upgrade my RepRap Mendel for auto bed leveling?
June 03, 2017 03:38PM
Hey all,

I have an older RepRap. I think it is the Mendel Tri-color (though I have never taken the extra steps to get more than one filament working). I looks something like this: [reprappro.com]

My controller board is a RepRap Melzi v2.0 that looks like this: [reprap.org]

My setup has a end-stop switch on the Z axis that is used during the homing process. I was intrigued by this article: [www.simplify3d.com] It describes using an proximity sensor near the print head in place of the z-axis end-switch. And then, presumably, the controller software can probe the bed and determine how to compensate during the print.

I think the first thing I would need to do would be upgrade the firmware. I seem to have read that it takes a newer firmware to support this function. A Google search of firmware upgrade brings me here: [reprap.org] and already I am starting to get lost. Following some links, I come here: [reprappro.com] which describes the process of uploading a firmware file to the board. But it looks like I have to manually edit the source code, which seems fraught with errors on my part. The last thing I want to do is to brick my printer. This thread: [forums.reprap.org] documents the struggles one user had getting this going.

Questions:
-- does my controller board support a firmware that will support bed leveling?
-- If so, what version of firmware should I be looking for?
-- It looks like I will need to use an Arduino IDE to upload the code. I assume this runs on linux?
-- Any other advice?

I tried doing searches for bed leveling and firmware upgrade on this forum, but didn't find exactly what I needed.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
Re: Can I upgrade my RepRap Mendel for auto bed leveling?
June 04, 2017 01:53AM
It's probably a good idea to buy an Arduino/Ramps combo for trials and keep your Melzi board untouched. There are also far more people who can help you setup Marlin with ABL on a Arduino Mega.
June 04, 2017 05:34AM
After a lot of exploring different ABL methods and sensors I have come to the conclusion that the best is using inexpensive piezoelectric discs - at least until we have some technology transfer from Zog from the planet Zhaarg or some other bright cookie. As far as how to use them, look at using 27mm diameter drilled discs under the three adjusting nuts of the bed, see the latest entry in this thread [forums.reprap.org]. For the amplifier, Moriquendi or DjDemonD on this forum should be able to help.

Mike
June 04, 2017 01:54PM
I don't understand. Marlin has the melzi board settings already. You just specify the board in the config. Setting up the probe will be the same as for any other board.
June 05, 2017 02:59AM
KDog
I don't understand. Marlin has the melzi board settings already. You just specify the board in the config. Setting up the probe will be the same as for any other board.

Every things seems easy, if you have done it before.
Setting up Marlin for ABL and getting all the probe-relevant stuff right is pretty complex.
June 05, 2017 04:15PM
My first printer (which I still have) was an original Mendel that I initially built from a kit as single colour but then did the tricolour upgrade. It's a little later than the model shown in the pic (the extruders are in a different position). It uses an IR sensor mounted on the head that homes both X and Z. Is that what you have? If not, then I suspect yours is a very early model in which case upgrading might not be all that easy (but still doable). The later models like mine did bed level compensation but they use Duet 0.6 electronics. That might be your easiest upgrade path.
June 06, 2017 09:16PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like this may be more complex than I want to tackle right now. Maybe time for a newer / better printer?? :-)

Kevin
June 07, 2017 09:13AM
It's always a good Idea to build your 2nd Printer while the first one stil around and working :-)

You can reprint parts for your 2nd one as often as needed:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 09:13AM by Dancer.
June 07, 2017 01:34PM
Dancer
It's always a good Idea to build your 2nd Printer while the first one stil around and working :-)

You can reprint parts for your 2nd one as often as needed:-)

I'll second that !
June 17, 2017 09:00AM
The RepRap Melzi v2.0 does support Auto Leveling.
Marlin 1.1 Newest released will support your controller.
The Arduino IDE’s will support Window, Mac or Linux .
The Arduino IDE May need to have added support. As per Wiki

And now my opinion of this endeavor.
I had just purchased a Hictop 3DP11 and it took forever to get it to print faithfully.

So when the time came that I wanted to upgrade, to a filament run-out sensor.
Believe me I was petrified at this endeavor. I download the required software spend days going thru the software configuration files, learning everything about how to setup the software. Finally I compiled Marlin 1.1.0-RC7-HIC without errors, with help from individuals at online RepRap forums. Still could not make myself flash the firmware.

While I was looking for spare parts on E-Bay, Stumbled across an inexpensive controller card for my 3D Printer, I then new what to do, Clicked buy it now. Had a spare Controller if the programming did now work, I still had the Original that could be reverted back to.

Have made dozen’s of firmware updates and now on Marlin-RC8BF-HICi3, no longer afraid to flash the firmware, when I want to makes some changes on my two 3D Printers.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2017 09:06AM by Roberts_Clif.
June 17, 2017 09:24AM
Have you considered upgrading the bed so you don't need to keep releveling it?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 22, 2018 05:59PM
Can someone answer this?
My current v2.0 Melzi has two terminals for the Z-axis end stop (no markings on the board, but supports a simple single pole end stop switch). My newer board is a V3.0 which has three terminals + - S for the Z-axis end stop. My question, so I don't blow up anything, can I substitute a 3-wire probe (+ - S) on the new board and, if so, what wiring connections? With the single pole switch, there is 5vdc across the two terminal when untriggered, dropping to 0vdc when triggered.
March 29, 2018 10:50AM
Got it figured out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login