Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Stabilizers

Posted by JRMN 
Z Stabilizers
September 06, 2012 10:01AM
I purchased my printed parts online late last year and I am just now putting my 3D pinter together. Anyway, I also purchased metal Z axis couplings, but the kit I have don’t have the Z stabilizers. I did a quick search and I came across this post about Z Stabilizers Siezing and I need to know if they are needed. Do I need Z stabilizers, what are the advantages of using them? thanks
Re: Z Stabilizers
September 06, 2012 10:07AM
You should use flex couplings for connecting the rods to the Z motors. The couplings have some compliance so any wobble in your rods is dissipated there instead of forcing the X axis assembly to wiggle. I use these (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9622) and they work pretty well.

Z stabilizers over-constrain the rods. For some people this helps their z wobble but for others it makes it worse.

I did print a Z stabilizer but I only use it to install the rods straight. After the couplings are tight I remove the stabilizer.
September 06, 2012 10:27AM
Thanks, so the flex couplings are better because they absorb the wiggly of your rods. So is the claim that using metal couplings gives you higher printer resolutions bogus?
September 06, 2012 10:28AM
Yep Nophead's z couplings are pretty much a standard (Prusa i2 has them) now as they work so well.
Its also worth cable/zip tying the z axis motors (for Prusa atleast) instead of bolting them in as it allows for a little wiggle room.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
September 06, 2012 10:53AM
Ok, so what I am hearing is that the Z stabilizers aren't really necessary and that I should use Nopheads couplings. Thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login