Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DuetWifi or Priecision Piezo PCB v1.2 issue

Posted by Foden 
DuetWifi or Priecision Piezo PCB v1.2 issue
July 01, 2018 03:26PM
I am building a Hypercube Evoltuin (HEVO) printer using DuetWifi as the control board and a precision piezo PCBv1.2 (I believe) as the Z end stop [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk]

Have been developing a new extruder carriage which has meant quite a few strip downs and rebuilds, always with the power off. The piezo has performed flawlessly until yesterday when i rebuilt the extruder head. The red led is lit and the blue led is half-lit - even without a piezo disk connected to it. Altering the potentiometer doesn't make any difference at all. I'm trying to troubleshoot to see whether the precision piezo PCB or the Duetwifi has failed.

Anyone have any pointers on how i do that?

Many thanks in advance
Re: DuetWifi or Priecision Piezo PCB v1.2 issue
July 02, 2018 05:41AM
Check your wiring, if you plug the cable in the wrong way round it can cause this effect.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 02, 2018 12:37PM
Hi Idris

The wiring itself didn't changed when i disassemble and reassembled the mount - i did do a double-check just in case though. I'm using my own custom one that uses a dual RJ45 connector board to keep all the wires connected to the head. Is there any way, for an idiot, to determine if the Precision piezo itself has died? Currently the Precision Piezo is connected on the Z Probe 4 oin header, lower left of the main board. Is it possible to connect it to the Z endstop header?

Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0920.jpg (337.3 KB)
open | download - Layout.png (504.9 KB)
July 02, 2018 01:28PM
Certainly the PP20 board will work with a z-endstop header, just make sure you turn pullups off for that pin.

Can you verify that you have a v1.2 board? (Green PCB, one potentiometer accessible from through the board) The version number will be written underneath the piezo pins.

Idris

{Precision Piezo} Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters.
July 02, 2018 09:26PM
Looks like my board is only a v.06. Picked it up from Spool3D in Canada

I'm waiting for an Orion to arrive from the UK, should be any month now ;o) You've got to love customs. Will have to redesign my extruder mount

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 09:28PM by Foden.
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG0922.jpg (255 KB)
open | download - IMAG0921.jpg (988.2 KB)
July 03, 2018 09:27AM
On the v0.6 board the red led is simply a power indicator.

Another thing that could cause the blue led to be partially lit are if somehow you enabled pullups.

Don't get me started on Canadian customs, I can order a bunch of custom PCBs from China and have them in my hand in four days but it can take six weeks to send a package to a customer in Canada.

Idris

July 03, 2018 11:22PM
So seems the PCB died, i picked up another from Spool3D and other than setting the potentiometer it worked straight out of the box

I know customs do a great job but man does it take forever to get things through from the UK. Stateside isn't a problem, just seems to be the UK and it seems to be getting worse
July 04, 2018 07:01AM
I'm sorry to hear that the PCB died, they're normally pretty robust.

I know they have an important job to do but it does get frustrating.

Idris

July 04, 2018 11:36PM
No worries, these things happen

Completely forgot that I also have Precision Piezo Universal Z-probe Kit v2.02 i think. Guess I could have used that with the hotend and saved some $$
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login