Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printable mini lathe

Posted by dslc 
Re: Printable mini lathe
December 21, 2012 12:57AM
I still can't get at the stl files in the assembly on Daid's Thingyverse page for this. There are only two files there, one is the assembly, and the other one I can't figure out.

I still don't have the files to print the chuck for this. I see on your Github that you switched to a different chuck that still is available for download, but I'm wondering if it mounts the same way as the original?

Thanks,
Jon
December 21, 2012 01:03AM
Daid's thingiverse page has two files. One is the assembly STL that I uploaded here and the other is a compressed folder that contains all the stl files and scad files. You will need to uncompress it with a compression tool like 7zip

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 21, 2012 01:27AM
I did that earlier, and I get a file with no extension that windows doesn't know what to open it with. I tried openscad, but it doesn't even show up in the open window because there is no extention. All it says is "LatheV2". Do you know what extension to give it?

Update: I just tried giving it .scad and it opened in openscad, but it won't render - it just gives errors and then stops. I can see references to the parts, but the listing of commands just freezes at the start. Is it my Openscad? it is the latest version...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 01:36AM by Tekwizard.
December 21, 2012 02:49AM
December 21, 2012 12:09PM
Yippi!

Thanks Sublime,

I never suspected a zipped file within a zipped file.

I have all of the pieces now,

Thanks for your generous help today.

Jon
April 04, 2013 05:50AM
Nice project.

I'm not too familiar with the code of conduit in this community, so what do you say about posting derived work?

Right now i'm in the middle of making the mini lathe, have some fixes for the Daid's whole and Sublime's Three_jaw_chuck files, and planning on making a detailed manual as i put it all together.

The changes i made:
-Fixed the STL files to be cleanly sliceable - there were various polygon issues in the chuck, resulting in inside-outside confusion.
-Made a warp-resistant version, for printing in ABS on sub-par heatbed printer.

Probably going to tweak something else, depending on how it would go.

So, would it be ok if i post the results on thingiverse/here, original credits included?
April 04, 2013 06:37AM
You create it as a derivative of the original object and the credit is given automatically.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 04, 2013 12:05PM
Wow! I'm new to reprap and I think that is the most amazing thing I've seen printed yet. That is so amazing. I definitely need to print one when my mendel is up and running. Amazing.

Artlav, can you please post a link to your thingiverse item once you post it with your improvements. I'd love any improvements.
-Bret
April 04, 2013 01:44PM
I originally released it on Thingiverse but then moved it to Github as Thingiverse does not deserve the publicity or possible rights that they grant themselves for my work. But with that said feel free to post it wherever you like, just be sure to post it with a non-commercial license and post a link in this thread where to find the models.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
April 04, 2013 02:14PM
Thanks Sublime. I looked for it on Thingiverse and didn't find it. Now I know why :-). I hadn't realized that thingiverse had rights issues, but it's not surprising I guess. I just created a github account and I'll start browsing there for things at times.

Thanks for contributing such amazing things for the rest of the world to print :-).
April 04, 2013 04:08PM
Is the idea that you hook up a power drill to the mini lathe?

If not what is the power source?
April 04, 2013 05:05PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> feel free to post it wherever you like, just be sure to
> post it with a non-commercial license and post a
> link in this thread where to find the models.

Thanks.

A questions about the design itself, if you don't mind:
I'm using your Three_jaw_chuck, why are the teeth (outside_jaw) sloped away?
It barely gets a grip on anything by the very tips, and the piece being held tend to just slip off sideways.
Would flat sides make more sense, or was there some trick or point to it?

cobrageek Wrote:
> Wow! I'm new to reprap and I think that is the
> most amazing thing I've seen printed yet. That is
> so amazing. I definitely need to print one when
> my mendel is up and running. Amazing.

I thought so to.
If it can be made usable and reasonably easy to reproduce, then this could be a jewel in the RepRap capabilities collection.

KeithSloan Wrote:
> Is the idea that you hook up a power drill to the mini lathe?

Simply, yes.
There is a problem of holding the trigger, however, so if you have a spare motor laying around, then better to use that.
April 04, 2013 06:45PM
KeithSloan Wrote:
> Is the idea that you hook up a power drill to the
> mini lathe?
>
> If not what is the power source?

That is one way and the way the first video was done. The rest of the videos and the way it is still is using an old drill motor and a small belt I had lying around.

April 04, 2013 06:47PM
Artlav Wrote:
> Sublime Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> A questions about the design itself, if you don't
> mind:
> I'm using your Three_jaw_chuck, why are the teeth
> (outside_jaw) sloped away?
> It barely gets a grip on anything by the very
> tips, and the piece being held tend to just slip
> off sideways.
> Would flat sides make more sense, or was there
> some trick or point to it?

Loosen the locking collar further so the jaws come away from the face. Then tighten the jaws against the object so they are flat before tightening the locking collar and the jaws will pull in tighter as you tighten the locking collar.

April 05, 2013 08:45AM
I allways wondered about this lathe... @sublime how accurate is this thing? could you use it to machine a hot end for example? or is its still more of a concept at this stage?
April 05, 2013 01:42PM
thecrazy Wrote:
> I allways wondered about this lathe... @sublime
> how accurate is this thing? could you use it to
> machine a hot end for example? or is its still
> more of a concept at this stage?

I machined a brass nozzle for a hotend back when I made it and it turned out ok. But my shafts were 5/16" in 8mm bearings which caused some wobble as well as my printed parts being a little rough. But with that said I think it could make some good parts as long as you keep the work piece cool enough not to melt the jaws (I melted one set). The part that is in need of the most work would be the tool holder. The one I made just held a 1/4" cobalt steel bit. Also I think Daid's version may be better because he increased the diameter of the guide rails which should make it stronger.

April 05, 2013 04:56PM
Then with some matching size bearings and a real chuck installed this could do some serious work.

Ill look at what Daid did, thanks for the info.
April 07, 2013 07:55PM
Sublime Wrote:
> parts as long as you keep the work piece cool
> enough not to melt the jaws (I melted one set).

Maybe try printing those in Nylon?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login