Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dissolving PLA used as support for ABS prints

Posted by Bertho 
Dissolving PLA used as support for ABS prints
September 10, 2012 04:08AM
Success: I tested with an ultrasonic cleaner and laboratory grade Sodium Hydroxide @ 60°C and got a surprise result:
[www.vinland.com]
Bertho
Re: Dissolving PLA used as support for ABS prints
September 10, 2012 02:54PM
Very interesting ! I have a dual extruder project and I want to use it to print soluble support structures. I planed to do the same experiments once my dual extruder is functional.
Does the ultrasonic pulses makes a lot of differences or a heated bath of sodium hydroxide is enough to dissolve the PLA ?
Is the sodium hydroxide has to be laboratory grade ?
September 10, 2012 07:12PM
I expect that the ultrasonic cleaner will make a big difference.
The grade is not important. I happened to have it available and I wanted to know accurately what was used for the testing. Sometimes store cleaners are mixtures but I do not think it is critical.
September 11, 2012 02:49PM
This is how 3D Systems does it, right?

[www.youtube.com]

Ultrasonic + Caustic Soda for 3 hours....
September 11, 2012 03:33PM
That is exactly what I wrote and I included the link to that video.
September 14, 2012 11:50AM
Can you try with the heater on but the ultrasonic switched off ?
If it works too, (it will certainely takes longer) we can build a dirt cheap support removal device by modifying a kitchen appliance.
September 14, 2012 12:21PM
I initially heated samples in my first set of tests but not for a long time. Afterwards I left the samples in the solution for several weeks but there was not a significant change in appearance. So in summary, it looks like ultrasonic is needed.

Maybe if it was at boiling temperature but that adds significant risks and also possibly warping the desired object from the heat.
Bertho
September 14, 2012 04:47PM
Are ultrasonic cleaners that hard to make? these instructions seem easy enough:

[deiwhy.blogspot.ca]
September 14, 2012 06:50PM
It sounds reasonable but audio power amps are not made to continuously operate at those frequencies and can easily overheat. There is no mentioning of tuning the system so it will be resonant. Many ultrasonic generators required a counter weight mounted to the other side of the transducer to operate efficiently. Plus you must have the unit tied to a PC if you do not design a separate signal generator.
So in summary, more work than it sounds like in the simplified description.
By the way, I have designed several commercial ultrasonic products that were marketed years ago.
September 14, 2012 08:00PM
Small ultrasonic cleaners does not have a heater function and the timer is very short. The smallest ultrasonic cleaner with heater function cleaner I found (Velleman VTUSCT5) has a capacity of 2l but the timer's maximum is 30min only. I don't have the space or the usefulness for a bigger one.
It seems the ultrasonic pulses are mandatory, so I think I will need to buy this 2l cleaner and hack it to increase the timer maximum, but it is clearly stated on the manual that this cleaner is not made to run continuously.
April 14, 2013 03:47PM
Eventually, I made an hot plate/stirrer :
The cardboard case is temporary, I will make a wiki about it once finished.

The PLA support is dissolved in 6H30 (heating-up included) with 100g of sodium hydroxide dissolved in 500ml of water at 60°C.
I also put other filament in the bath :

From top to bottom :
-Test part (GRRF white PLA / black ABS)
-GRRF white PLA
-orbi-tech transparent PLA
-GRRF transparent blue PLA
-GRRF soft PLA
-GRRF LAYWOOD

The soft PLA isn't affected so much and LAYWOOD isn't affected at all by the sodium hydroxide, so we can make rubbery or wood-like complex parts using PLA as support smiling smiley
For the next test, I will increase the temperature to 80°C to speed-up the process.
April 14, 2013 05:19PM
Thank you for the update.
It will be a nice finished product.
April 15, 2013 03:38PM
At 80°C, the support is dissolved in 3Hrs
And I lowered the concentration to 50g / 500ml

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 05:27PM by Petrus.
April 20, 2013 08:54PM
This is sweet. I just happend to have a large heated ultrasonic cleaner. Now I don't need to buy PVA as support - as that is more than twice the price of PLA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login