Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I print my own timing pulleys?

Posted by TheFerminator 
Can I print my own timing pulleys?
September 12, 2012 09:28PM
Hello, I don't like the price of t2.5 pulleys. I am going to buy the ones that attach to my motor shafts, but can I print the ones that I want to be free spinning? I know someone that has access to a printer. has someone done this before?
Re: Can I print my own timing pulleys?
September 12, 2012 09:48PM
i do T5 12 tooth all the time but i've got various generation scripts for other sizes
September 12, 2012 10:27PM
I just downloaded a 3d model from a manufacturer's site. I have modified it so it should meet my needs. Hopefully it will print fine.
September 13, 2012 07:22AM
I have been using printed T2.5 timing pulleys for some time. They work just fine. You just need a printer with a 0.35 nozzle and no (significant) backlash.

Here's the model I used
September 13, 2012 07:59AM
Is this a good deal? [www.globalindustrial.com]

Seems it is metal which I really like over plastic.
September 13, 2012 09:18AM
i got this ones. Since its free shipping that compensates the higher price

[www.ebay.com]

They havent arrived yet (ordered 1 week ago)
September 13, 2012 10:02AM
Good find though it doesn't look like it has much quality but that could be just the picture.
September 13, 2012 11:02AM
agree, the picture sucks.

As soon as they arrive i will try to get better pictures.

I guess they should be here in a week or 2.
September 13, 2012 11:07AM
Let us know the quality and if good, with the free shipping, that is cool.
September 14, 2012 07:49PM
I print my own timing gears with a .35 nozzle. Also print my own flexible Z motor couplers, they work better than the metal ones IMO.
September 14, 2012 08:52PM
yes, you can print your own gears...that is, assuming you have a printer already.

Yes Dark Alchemist, that's not a "bad" price. Although I suppose you can find it on ebay for less, if you're willing to wait a month for it to ship from China.

If in the USA, you might also check out MakerFarm. They sell a pair of them with T2.5 belt for the x and y axes for around $25.
September 14, 2012 09:09PM
I am seriously contemplating MakerFarm for a kit (still not sure which one but that is for another thread) but I always (IT tech guy that I am) build from pieces I scrounge the net for. Problem is S&H can kill you doing that anymore.
September 14, 2012 10:04PM
I understand. It's just an option. Each of us decides how we proceed. If you do, they're in the hardware section at MakerFarm. I'd guess other distributors are doing similarly. They just happened to be where I ended up when I went hunting for those particular parts. Reasonable price, local-ish source, prompt delivery. Can't go wrong with that in my book. Ordered a second set to give to the friend who turned me onto this (and who printed all the parts for my first (impending) build...
September 25, 2012 02:12PM
The pulleys just arrived.

Heres a picture, let me know what you think.
Attachments:
open | download - P1020645.jpg (224.4 KB)
September 25, 2012 02:18PM
That looks rather nice.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 25, 2012 03:01PM
and they fit better once tensioned in place.
September 25, 2012 03:19PM
Yeah, it's all that metal it just works better. I mean plastic has its uses but I seriously have never been a fan of a plastic pulley.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
September 25, 2012 07:33PM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am seriously contemplating MakerFarm for a kit
> (still not sure which one but that is for another
> thread) but I always (IT tech guy that I am) build
> from pieces I scrounge the net for. Problem is
> S&H can kill you doing that anymore.

I've purchased alot from MakerFarm, including filament. I found them to be prompt, professional, and shipping was very reasonable. Which is the nice thing about a place like MakerFarm, they sell nearly everything so combined shipping is only incementally more expensive.

Ordering from multiple places, the shipping really adds up.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
September 25, 2012 08:56PM
Is MakerFarm MakerBot connected?

_______
September 25, 2012 11:27PM
How about printing a timing belt with a flexible material?
September 25, 2012 11:31PM
Look at Trimmer Line Nylon for that because I think you could do it as it is very flexible and strong.

_______
September 26, 2012 04:54AM
The most common source of backlash on a printer is having the printed timing pulley work loose, and start spinning a bit on the shaft. Believe me, the cost of manufactured pulleys is worth every penny.
September 27, 2012 07:28PM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is MakerFarm MakerBot connected?

No. Makerfarm is at [www.makerfarm.com], president is Colin Farrer, and they are in Utah. They sell Prusa and PrintrBot, supplies and parts for reprap.

Makerbot is in Brooklyn and sell their own machines and parts.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
September 27, 2012 07:32PM
Thank you for the information as I wasn't sure. smiling smiley

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login