Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please help me decide on my first 3d printer

Posted by srk999 
Please help me decide on my first 3d printer
September 14, 2012 12:48AM
Bukobot 8 Duo
Dual extruder kit. I chose this for the learning experience that comes with kits (also applicable to other kits below), as well as the dual-extruder aspect of it. I have no idea about the potential of dual-extruder kits, but it sounds like it is the future-proof way.
$1,400

Orca 0.43
Single extruder kit. This is a descedent of reprap. Looks promising. Only if it were dual-extruder.
~$1,400 including the "not-included" parts.

Ultimaker
Single extruder kit. Fast printing speed.
~$1,500

Leapfrog Dual-Extruder
Fully assembled kit. Dual extruder.
~$2,000.

Makerbot Replicator Dual-Extruder
Fully assembled kit. Dual extruder.
~$2,000.

Orca is a direct descendent of prusa mendel. In the beginning I was inclined towards a prusa mendel, but after much research it seems a mendel90-ish model (mendel i3?) would be a much better choice for a newbie. All a newbie needs is a good mother-printer. After that it is probably not too hard to print out other printers. Although Mendel90 is said to be not "newb-friendly", Mendel i3 says the opposite. Mendel i3 is described as sturdy framed, newb-friendly, simpler, and elegant machine. Should I just wait for a mendel i3 kit then? Because, I'd rather be a reprap-er than go for something else.

I am trying to make this as less expensive as possible. Although the kits look less expensive I wonder how much it will end up costing in total by the time I am done building them, 'cos parts break, and accidents happen. On the other hand, my knowledge is limited to the words I read on the websites, and have not practical knowledge. So, please help me decide.
Re: Please help me decide on my first 3d printer
September 14, 2012 02:17AM
if i were to build a new printer atm it would be a mendel90 which i would be building right now but im waiting on the prusa I3.

that kind of printer designs solves so many leveling problems that a common with printers.

other then that could go with a cheap printrbot get used to it then when you have got used to it the prusa I3 should be out then you can print your parts your self and build an I3

i sourced all my own parts for my printers saved me money over buying a kit and also learned a lot more
September 14, 2012 04:32AM
If your willing to self built and source I second the Mendel90 or Prusa i3 (once documentation for i3 is released/created).

Having said [reprappro.com] are priced extremely well and would be a good starting block if you wanted a low cost entry printer with expansion options.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
September 14, 2012 09:54AM
The MakerGear M2 Mosaic is a quality looking kit. $1300 I think, although they went to selling assembled only due to crushing orders I assume.
The kit will probably return for a higher price to better suit the market demand. (complete guess on this) $1500 assembled.

It has quality parts included that refine the movements for XYZ. linear rails, cnc aluminum bits.
With the all-thread framed style kits, refined looking parts might require upgrades to the mechanicals.

Downside is the part moves in one direction, which as speeds go up on things like infill, adhesion to the build plate is more important for tall parts.
Many but not all move the part around. Some just in Z, which is my preference.

There is less of the RepRap mantra with this one, but for the price you can't go wrong. I'm in the queue for one.

People are also getting great part quality with the 80/20 framed mendels.

Have fun.
September 14, 2012 10:28AM
Faced with a similar decision a couple of months back, didn't want to source every nut and bolt, but did want to build it. This is cut and paste from another non 3d printer forum

here is mine,

just waiting on an extruder before i start melting plastic, all up cost ~800 build area 200x200x200

Build platform [www.automationtechnologiesinc.com] around $460 delivered

All electronics from Reprapdiscount on ebay Ramps 1.4, heated bed, wiring kit, lcd controller. ~$200 delivered

Extruder qu-bd kickstarter [store.qu-bd.com] ~60 delivered

and various bits and bobs t6o complete from bunnings and jaycar maybe $50.

Worth a look anyway
September 14, 2012 09:29PM
Thanks to you guys my mind is now set on Prusa i3. Can't wait for its kit to be available.

I looked at both Makegear M2 and ORD Bot Hadron. They look very similar to the Prusa i3 which can be seen here and here. Many also say that i3 is similar to Mendel90. So, my guess is J.Prusa is making a machine that will combine the greatness of all these machines into one. Can't wait.
September 15, 2012 04:19AM
Greetings and welcome to the world of 3D printers!

I can suggest one option which is from Finnish manufacturer: miniFactory 3D printer
You can check their website with some projects created miniFactory 3D printer
There is also video on youtube which can be found here: Full print in fast motion

And btw. the printer comes as assembled!

Cheers
-Jabaz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login